El Capitan freezing on login screen after any input (click or keystroke).

My MacBook Pro (late 2011) has been freezing on the login screen after updating to El Capitan public beta 5. Any attempt to make a click on user icon to bring up the password box elicits a never ending beach ball. The cursor is still responsive in terms of it tracks around the screen but it just sits there and spins. After about 30 min of spinning it advances to the password box, start typing, another beach ball. Once the text fills in (20-30 min later) when I click on the -> to login, you guessed it another beach ball and at this point it indefinitely spins. I have successfully been able to boot in safe mode and the login works perfectly then. I tried disabling start up programs (google drive, Dropbox, kapersky anti virus) didn't help. I tried disabling wifi and Bluetooth, no help. I booted to the recovery partition and reinstalled the OS, didn't work. Any suggestions would be wonderful, I have a huge exam on Monday that I am trying to study for and I need my Mac! Thanks in advance!

Accepted Reply

These forums are about to be closed (OS X 10.11 Beta Forum Closing)

I should point out that I'm not affiliated with Apple in any way, but if you would like to request personal help, please contact me on MacMax108@gmail.com

-Max

Replies

Hi,

If it's a kernel panic then the following will provide useful information:

Boot into Safe Mode and look under the System Diagnostic Reports section of the Console utility app. It will contain the date and time of the panic in its title and ending with the suffix “.panic” in its name. Click on it and then copy the following into the search bar:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace

• Copy the next 5 lines after that into your reply to this post

Then search for:

last loaded kext

• Again, copy the next 5 lines after that into your reply to this post
-Max

Doesn't look like its a Kernel Panic. No ".panic" results in the console.

Here is the output to the other commands.

-bash: Is-1/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

-bash: Is-1/Library/ApplicationSupport/VirtualBox/: No such file or directory

-bash: find/System/Library/Extensions-name*.kext-ctime+11w: No such file or directory

There don't seem to be any spaces in the commands you ran?

They weren't.... Sorry

Here is the output:

bdilcher-md:~ bdilcher$ ls -1 /Library/Extensions/

ACS6x.kext

ATTOCelerityFC8.kext

ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext

ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext

ArcMSR.kext

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

NumarkUSB2Audio.kext

PromiseSTEX.kext

SoftRAID.kext

hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

klif.kext

klnke.kext

bdilcher-md:~ bdilcher$ ls -1 /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/

ls: /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/: No such file or directory

bdilcher-md:~ bdilcher$ find /System/Library/Extensions -name "*.kext" -ctime +11w

bdilcher-md:~ bdilcher$

These forums are about to be closed (OS X 10.11 Beta Forum Closing)

I should point out that I'm not affiliated with Apple in any way, but if you would like to request personal help, please contact me on MacMax108@gmail.com

-Max

Giving it a shot... About my last option before removing El Cap...

Well one of those two things didn't like El Cap... Restarted out of safe mode and it seems to be working fine now... Thanks so much for your help!

Glad it's sorted for you 🙂

I started experiencing this same issue. Went through all the troubles trying to find a fix, I Thought this was specific to hardware failure etc but theres very limited info about this in relation to El Capitan and eventually found this thread.

Im basically on the same boat and thanks to your terminal command, I found these:

Nick-Zipagans-iMac:~ nickzipagan$ ls -1 /Library/Extensions/

ACS6x.kext

ATTOCelerityFC8.kext

ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext

ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext

ArcMSR.kext

BJUSBLoad.kext

CIJUSBLoad.kext

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext

FTDIKext.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

LittleSnitch.kext

PromiseSTEX.kext

SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext

SoftRAID.kext

Wacom Tablet.kext

Nick-Zipagans-iMac:~ nickzipagan$ ls -1 /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/

ls: /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/: No such file or directory

Nick-Zipagans-iMac:~ nickzipagan$ find /System/Library/Extensions -name "*.kext" -ctime +11w

Nick-Zipagans-iMac:~ nickzipagan$

I dont know if thats any help but my imac is running fine on the external display, just its own actual display Blacked out.

Hi Nick,

I'm happy to try to help, but please could you post your own question as this thread is already quite long and squashed up to the right. It's been my experience that trying to diagnose similar issues for multiple people in one thread quickly gets confusing. Start your question from here: OS X 10.11 beta

Thanks,

Max.

Just copy-paste your post to the new question 🙂

Thanks Max!