El Capitan Public Beta 4 crashes while starting up

After installing El Capitan Public beta 4, my MacBook Pro 15 (late 2008) freezes during startup, showing a strange static-like-misaligned-pixel-screen over the Apple logo and progress bar. Nothing changes even after hours of waiting.

Clean reinstalling the beta from version 1 does not solve the issue.

Also, I have noticed that the updates set the video graphics card to the "Better Battery Life" setting and this might be the cause of this.

As I will not be able to upgrade directly to Beta 5, is there a solution other than just waiting for the final release?

Accepted Reply

No problem 🙂

Good news is that from the output you posted, I can see that there is a quick and straightforward fix that will allow you to update to Beta 4 without issue. Copy-paste the following into a Terminal window:

sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/*Eltima*

Then boot into Recovery Mode (cmd+R).

1. Utilities menu > Terminal > Type:

csrutil disable

2. Reboot normally and update to Beta 4.

Max.

Replies

Hi avratza,

So you did a clean install of PB 1 (no TM restore of old settings etc.) and the each of the updates to Beta 4 reset your GPU setting to "Better Battery Life" so that it was pointless setting it to "Better Performance" before updating?

You actually might be able to update straight from Beta 1 to Beta 5 if Beta 5 turns out to be a combo update (meaning it will incorporate all changes from betas 2 through 5). Given that the dev betas have got to 6 without a combo, there's a fairly good chance that the next one will be, and that the same would then apply to the public one too.

Max.

Hello,

Your presumption in para 1 is correct.

OK, I'll wait for Beta 5 and see.

Because the issue is very likely with your model of MBP and some change that has been made in Beta 4, it would be worth submitting a bug report here, or use the Feedback Assistant app that is bundled with the Public Beta of El Capitan (or both).

If you don't they might not get to hear of it, assuming that the issue is model specific.

I have the same sh... thing. Tried reinstalling from beta 1 three times. That was terrible. Hope Apple beta devision will do something with that.

Already reported it but from Beta 3, of course, which might lead Apple to believe that is the version presenting this issue.

Given that you wiped the drive clean before installing Beta 1, and that you've installed no 3rd party software, nor restored or migrated anything from a backup before updating to beta 4, then the issue must be to do with display driver. Are you using an external screen?

I'm a bit confused that you had a similar issue with Beta 3. How then did you update to Beta 4 - Safe Mode?

what I meant is that I reported the issue while running beta 3 and not 4, as 4 does not work. Would this make Apple believe that the issue is with beta 3 instead of 4?

Reporting the issue from Beta 3 should be fine - I'm sure you made it clear in the bug report that the issue was with Beta 4.

Because it completely changes the way I would need to diagnose the issue your MBP is having with Beta 4, I'm seeking clarification as per my post above:

• Did you erase the drive clean before installing Beta 1?
  • Have you installed any 3rd party software or done any kind of restore from a backup since then?
  • And are you using an external screen?

No, I installed Beta 1 over what was already there.

No.

Yes and No. I installer beta 4 when no display was connected

Ah, okay. There has been a mixup due to our different understandings of the term "clean re-install" that you used in your original post. My use of the term is that the drive is cleaned (erased) first and then OS X is reinstalled.

So your issue is probably the same as many others on these forums - i.e. caused by PB 4's altered security handling of certain foreign kexts/drivers that are still on your system from when you were running Yosemite (no, reinstalling without erasing first doesn't remove them).

To determine what they are in your case, could you please open a Terminal window from Beta 3 and post the output of the following command:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

Sorry for the misunderstanding and sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I was out of town without my computer. The output is below:

Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>

123 0 0xffffff7f82205000 0xd000 0xd000 com.eltima.SyncMate.kext (0.2.5b15) 850FE417-BEF6-95CD-C098-EDEC84DDEE12 <122 63 50 4 3 1>

No problem 🙂

Good news is that from the output you posted, I can see that there is a quick and straightforward fix that will allow you to update to Beta 4 without issue. Copy-paste the following into a Terminal window:

sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/*Eltima*

Then boot into Recovery Mode (cmd+R).

1. Utilities menu > Terminal > Type:

csrutil disable

2. Reboot normally and update to Beta 4.

Max.

Hopefully that will sort it for you 🙂

I'm writing this from Beta 4. Thank you so much for all your help and patience.