Where are date-time formats stored-retrieved from in 10.8 and earlier ?

I need to find out where default date and time formats are stored in OS X 10.8 and earlier. The default date formats (shown in the Language & Region pref pane) change when users change the location/region. I'm trying to find where those defaults were stored before OS X 10.9.

My need comes from using Quicken for Mac 2007 (Intel) on my iMac. I live in Australia and so dates are on the D/M/Y format. On the iMac, Quicken shows dates correctly in D/M/Y format. But, on my Mac Mini, Quicken shows dates in US (M/DY) format instead. This is depsite both Macs running the same OS X and having the same date-time and regin settings (checked in ".GlobalPreferences.plist").

The only difference between the two Macs is that the iMac first ran OS X 10.6 and has been incrementally upgraded since while the Mac Mini has had OS X 10.10 clean installed. I have never done a clean install on the iMac and so, there may be old framework files from the pre-10.9 days still in there which Quicken is using to control date format dsplay.

I need to know what and where those old files might be. Does anyone know ?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), late-2009, Core i5, 2.66Ghz, 12Gb

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), mid-2011, Core i7, 2.7Ghz, 8Gb

Replies

So all you're trying to do is get that date to display correctly? Not complicated—just hit the Advanced button inside the Language & Region pref pane and set it up the way you like. If Quicken does the right thing (meaning it uses the system-provided date and time formats, which are controlled by this setting), it will update to the new format, and you'll be all set!

No, sorry. I know how to use the pref pane.

I am using Quicken 2007 (Intel). Quicken displays dates correctly on my iMac but not on the Mac Mini. Quicken does not do the right thing - well it used to. Something was changed with OS X 10.9 and Quicken 2007 has not been updated to reflect that. So, it shows the wrong date format in OS X 10.9 and 10.10 but only on a Mac that was new with 10.9 or was clean installed with 10.9 or 10.10. This problem is well known amongst non-US Quicken users. The Quicken forums have many messages from people trying to solve this problem. Intuit who make Quicken have not responded in any way and no user has been able to find out how Quicken gets the default date formats. This is my attempt.

Both my Macs have OS X 10.10.4 and the same date, time, region, language and time zone settings. From all that I guess that Quicken is looking for the system default date formats in a place that was changed with OS X 10.9. Crucially, that place still exists even though a Mac has been updated with OS X 10.9 and/or 10.10. So, Quicken shows dates correctly on my old iMac but wrongly on my newer Mac Mini.

So, I'm trying to find out where those default formats were stored - which file, located where ? I have looked through the system and user libraries on the iMac for frameworks, plists and any other files that could be the source but with no luck. I have tried to find something in the Apple Developer Resources but, no luck. I can't a reference to any file location for format defaults at all.

Garry