Issues Mounting External Drive after 'freeze'

I can't figure out if I have a corrupted file system, or something else.

I have a 16TB Drobo 5 attached via thunderbolt interface. It's been working fine through the various betas, but thursday overnight the machine running el capitan 'froze' and when I got to it in the morning the screen was at 1:15AM and I had to power off/on to restart it.

Since then, my Drobo doesn't mount for...quite some time. I'm talking hours.

If you look at the Drobo software it shows a large amount of IO happening, the drobo itself is chugging away. I let it sit, and the drive appeared and finder could see things, but Time Machine couldn't hit it, and my Server Beta software didn't see the timecapsules it was hosting on it or my download caching system couldn't see it.

So I restarted thinking the hours long recovery process casued a problem.

and the drobo again took hours to come back again.

While the drobo hasn't appeared I try to fire up Disk Utility to see if it sees anything and it sits there 'scanning disks' until the drive mounts.

I can't find anything in logs. Diskutility.log, or the console seem like nothing is happening worthwhile.

I'm currently running 'first aid' to see if it'll find anything, but wondering if there were any changes between beta 5/6 that affected thunderbolt?