Unable to install app on Watch from Xcode

In previous releases of Xcode and watchOS, I was able to run and debug apps on my watch. I have since installed the latest Xcode 7 beta and watchOS beta. I deleted the app from my iPhone, yet that app is still listed in the Watch app. The app is not shown on my Watch home screen, and flipping the switch to install it never installs it. I can't get that app to disappear from the Watch app. I have since updated my app's app icon and I can get it to run on the iPhone without issue, but it never installs on the Watch. The app is still showing in the Watch app along with the old icon, and flipping the switch off and on still won't install it. Running the app in Xcode 7 causes it to never finish "performing install actions", and when I click stop it won't stop performing the install actions. If I click run again, it will refuse to because the iPhone is busy performing install actions, so I have to quit Xcode and relaunch. I've tried resetting the iPhone and Watch (hold power and home/crown together), unplugging and plugging in again, restarting the computer, and none of that has resolved these problems. What can I do to get the newest version of my app on my Watch?

Accepted Reply

Hi Jordan,

Having a look at the most recentXcode release notes, I wonder if it has to do with:

watchOS

Watch apps written with Swift code may not install to the Watch from the phone.

• Workaround: Add STRIP_BITCODE_FROM_COPIED_FILES=NO as a user-defined build setting on the iOS, watch, and extension targets (or just add it as a project default).

I.e.: In xcode, select the "PROJECT" entry to get the setting as default everywhere in the project build settings, then press the + next to "All | Combined Levels" to add the setting with value above to the list at the bottom of the screen.

Max.

Replies

I'm also having the same issue, and it seems to be mentioned at the very bottom of the beta 5 WatchOS2 release notes:

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/watchos/releasenotes/General/RN-watchOSSDK-2.0/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016205

Is there any work around?

Is your watch app written in Swift? Check the Xcode release notes for a workaround involving setting a "STRIP_BITCODE_FROM_COPIED_FILES" build setting.

http://adcdownload.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_7_beta_5/Xcode_7_beta_5_Release_Notes.pdf

I'm stuck on "Performing install actions" as well, but the watch is not involved in my case— this is an iPhone/iPad Universal Objective-C app. Very frustrating. No amount of build cancelling, derived-data wiping or device restarting has helped.

Same here - stuck on "Performing install actions"

Hi Jordan,

You might have to resort to un-pairing the watch (a backup will automatically be created on the phone) and then either re-pair from the backup (you'll be given the option) or set up the watch as new.

Max.

Hi Max

I am experiencing the same issue and have un-paired and re-paired the watch afresh and still cannot install my universal app. Has anyone found a workaround?

Regards,

Tom

Hi Jordan,

Having a look at the most recentXcode release notes, I wonder if it has to do with:

watchOS

Watch apps written with Swift code may not install to the Watch from the phone.

• Workaround: Add STRIP_BITCODE_FROM_COPIED_FILES=NO as a user-defined build setting on the iOS, watch, and extension targets (or just add it as a project default).

I.e.: In xcode, select the "PROJECT" entry to get the setting as default everywhere in the project build settings, then press the + next to "All | Combined Levels" to add the setting with value above to the list at the bottom of the screen.

Max.

Did either of you work out a fix for this? Having the same issue

Same here,

did you find a solution? For days everything works fine, but now it stucks on installation. Very frustrating!

Ok, in my case it's a very strange behavior. This only apears in the following situation.

My app saves some data to the apps documents/data and it gives the user the option to delete these data again. To check if this works correct I start the app, save some data and stop the app. Now i go to iOS settings->storage and check the storage size of my app. If I now build&run the app again to delete some data, and only after opening the iOS settings, the installation process stuck on "Performing install actions". Also iOS settings stuck if i try to open it. I have to press power+home to restart the iPhone. I'm working on XCode 7 Beta 5 and iOS 9.

This is very strange!