My El Capitan Beta 4 hangs at 111mb and continues to add time, at one point it was up to 2 days and no progress past the 111mb mark

Im not sure whats going on but the update through the app store simply hangs at 111mb every time i try it, i restart the appstore and no difference

Accepted Reply

To download the Public Beta 4 updates directly from Apple's CDN, thereby bypassing the App Store altogether, use the following links:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/35/59/031-29551/7i02r4chroblj3jmspryq1aunzoug1o0u8/OSXUpd10.11.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/35/59/031-29551/7i02r4chroblj3jmspryq1aunzoug1o0u8/FirmwareUpdate.pkg

Run the FirmwareUpdate.pkg first.

Replies

Hi aquan07,

Sometimes the App Store gets struck after downloading the firmware part of the update. So the first thing to try is to go to /Library/Updates/ and run the FirmwareUpdate.pkg file you find in there. That will install the firmware update.

Then restart you Mac and go back to the App Store to download the Beta update.

Post back with your results.

Max.

where would i find /Library/Updates/ ? i tried searching both that and the firmwareupdate in finder but no results

In finder, press shift+cmd+G and copy-paste in:

/Library/Updates/

i installed the firmwareupdate and restarted, but when i attempt to install the update through the appstore it manages to stall at 111mb as the time continues to increase. Any thoughts?

Yes,

1. Quit the App Store
  2. Go to /Library/Updates/ and delete the FirmwareUpdate.pkg file you find in there.
  3. Open the Terminal App and type the following (will ask for password but it won't display on screen as you type):

sudo softwareupdate --install -a

ok i did that, now should i just let my laptop sit idle? As in would the terminal notify me when the update is finished downloading/stalled?

It should give you a bit of feedback from time to time, but if nothing happens for longer than your network would normall take to download 2GB, then post back.

ok ill let it sit for a bit, so far (around 20 minutes) there hasnt been any feedback, but i will update after an hour or so passes

I am having the exact same problem, 111MB and then it stalls.

pushing an hour and so far the terminal still says "downloading os x el capitan public beta"

Same here

Ive tried installing from the terminal and its gone nowhere so far

Quit the App Store - Delete everything inside /Library/Updates/ - Copy-paste and run the following command from Terminal: sudo softwareupdate --iva

Okay, time to assume that it's hit the same block - press control+C to cancel it.

Minor correction...sorry, doing this from my phone... Quit the App Store Delete everything inside /Library/Updates/ Copy-paste and run the following command from Terminal: sudo softwareupdate -iva