Auto-Renewable-Subscription rejected!

Hello,

my app is in the App-Store for three months now using an accepted auto-renewable-subscription. As usual I just submitted an update with bug fixes. Out of nothing the update was rejected, telling the auto-renewable was not appropriate. I should change it to non-renewable.

I asked for clarification, but I got several answers without a reason, just repeating the fact of not being appropriate. After asking multiple times I finally got a reason, that I would only unlock one feature in the app and this kind of subscription is for periodically updated content.

First I told them that it is not true that our app only unlocks one feature. There are several more and I told them that there are even more coming, including web-services with server costs - not yet. Does this play any role? Never got an answer to that… Even with current features it would be a pain for users if they forget to renew subscription by themselves and loose content without a warning.

Second I told them that I can see a lot of apps using this kind of subscription, even with only unlocking a single feature and without web-services! And I see more apps changing to that model every day through all the blogs and news-sites. I also work at other projects, where we use the exact same model without problems.

We analyzed apps with similar business-models to create our own. And is was accepted at the beginning. Rethinking our business-models and development is extremely expensive, especially if you do not get real statements or rules you can relate to.

They said to call me in a few days, but after one week they told me that they could not reach me. I never received a phone-call on my phone. When I read the message, I immediately called back and left a message on the voice-mail. Reviewers successfully contacted me earlier on other cases, so I don’t think there is a problem with my phone. Now I am waiting further days again without any reaction by message or phone.

The reviewers seem to walk away and prevent giving me reasons. Is this the service that is worth the 30%? We think about removing the in-apps and only pay via website.

So beside generally asking for advice, experiences and your understanding of the rules, I would like to ask you if it is allowed to unlock features via login? So people could use the app for free and login to use more features. Accounts would then be managed via website. This should be possible right?

I also asked that the reviewers, but they just say external payment would be inappropriate without any details. Sounds like some really expensive trial and error we are forced to do or what? How do you handle such situations? Is the review team free to to whatever they want to? It seems like they do.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

Lots of issues.

Autorenewable subscriptions used to be very restricted and allowed only for subscriptions with content that changed on a regular basis - magazines. They opened it up about two years ago but still it is really for products with content that changes over time.

Consider the non-renewing subscription. You mentioned "....users...forget to renew subscription by themselves and loose content without a warning." Why do you make them lose content - why can't they get that content back when they remember and renew?

What other apps do is irrelevant - App Review makes mistakes - for example your app over the past few months has used Autorenewable subscriptions!

Thanks for sharing your back-and-forth with telephone calls. Also irrelevant.