How to convert FBX with separate animation files into single USDZ?

I have an FBX model with separate FBX animations files, and would like to convert them to a single USDZ file with the animations included in it (or at least one!). The goal is to be able to use it with Xcode, Reality Composer, and use all animations. What would be a good workflow to achieve this?

Asset specs :

The object's rig has 35 bones, includes a set of 15 animations (3 being root motion variations), and its files looks like this:

Asset.fbx
Asset@animation1.fbx
Asset@animation2.fbx
Asset@animation3.fbx

The animation fbx files are quite lightweight and use Asset.fbx as a reference. So far, I've only had luck in exporting the main model (using Apple's Reality Converter, or Unity's USD package for the export), but not the animations. When I try to convert the FBX animations to USDZ, the model isn't included. I've no idea how to combine animations and models.

Any hints would be welcome!

Replies

I think the easiest way would be to import your model and animation to blender (or similar), export it as a glb file, and then convert to USDZ. The glb file bundles the model and animations together.

Thank you for your reply.

The animation and the model still have separate armatures and bones in Blender, and therefore the model doesn't animate.

Perhaps I would need a way to easily merge these animations (armatures/bones?) with the model first before converting to USDZ. Not sure how to do this either unfortunately.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of dok Down vote reply of dok