IOS payment policy - Pls advice

Hello, I have a question, I developed a dating app. What makes this app different is that it allows users to woo/gift their date with the app's digital currency (Coins). This feature of wooing/gifting a date is optional and for a user to woo/gift their date, they will have to purchase the app's coins before sending the coins as a gift and the receipent of such will be able to redeem the coin as cash deposit.

I found this on Apple app guidelines

"Apps may enable individual users to give a monetary gift to another individual without using in-app purchase, provided that (a) the gift is a completely optional choice by the giver, and (b) 100% of the funds go to the receiver of the gift."

My question:

I charge a small admin fee during gift coins redemption (This charges covers charges by payment gate, fund disbursement and little extra to maintain the app/server). What does apple mean by 100% of the funds go to the receiver of the gift? Who incures the payment gateway and fund disbursement charges? how do I keep company afloat, pay staff, maintaining the app and pay for server if I cant charge admin fee?

My app is ready to launch Please help!

Replies

In your example, I'd expect your admin/overhead to come out of your 30% revenue from the sale of the IAPs purchased by the wooer on the front end. If that process isn't expected to support your businees model, then it may be time to re-think. As that guideline states, 100% of the $ to the wooee goes to them...you can't double-dip.

You wish to give a gift of cash using a means other than IAP. According to guideline 3.2.1(vii) that you quote above, you can do that but must give 100% of that amount to the giftee. You cannot use a portion of that gift to fund the app or your processing. That's the guideline. You read it correctly.

How can you fund your app? You can charge the user a fee to give a gift. That fee must be an IAP. So, for example, you can require an IAP of $0.99 in order to give a cash gift of $10.00. You collect and distribute the full $10 using some third party payment system. You absorb the (typically) 2% fee (i.e. $0.20) of the third party payment system. You get $0.70 from the IAP purchase.