Do Game Center peer-to-peer matches support more than 4 players now?

The Game Center Programming Guide clearly states real-time peer-to-peer matches supports 2 to 4 players only. However, I just notced I can call the findMatchWithMinPlayers method with the request.maxPlayers parameter set to a value of 5->16 and the GKMatchmakerViewController presents 5->16 players for me to invite.

Is the Game Center Programming Guide out-of-date and real-time peer-to-peer matches support more than 4 players are now?

I would like to know for sure so I can enable more than 4 player support into my game.

Accepted Reply

Invite and support are not the same thing.

As the docs state:

Maximum number of players for each kind of match...

Match Type ~ Maximum Number of Players

Peer-to-Peer: 4

Hosted: 16

Turn-based: 16

Replies

Invite and support are not the same thing.

As the docs state:

Maximum number of players for each kind of match...

Match Type ~ Maximum Number of Players

Peer-to-Peer: 4

Hosted: 16

Turn-based: 16

My recollection is that it is limited to 4. It does make some sense to invite more that 4 people but admit only 4 who say yes - anticipating that some invitees will not respond or will say no.

In "iPlayingCards" to get over the limit of 4 I set up a system where the game was threaded through from one session to another session. Any of the 4 players in a session could create a second session and feed data from one session to the other session. And this system could continue threading. It was fun but there were significant delays in communicating from one end of a thread to the other.