When & how often to do receipt verification

I'm wondering when and how often to do receipt verification for non-consumable purchases. I can certainly verify right after I get the transaction== .purchased notification (delegate call).

But it seems like I'd also want to ask for a receipt referesh at some frequency (weekly?) and re-verify just in case they have a ****-broken phone and have fudged my record of their purchase, or Apple has given them a refund for their IAPurchase. Am I correct that the receipt-refresh would be transparent to the user as long as they stay signed-in to their app-store account?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Barry

Accepted Reply

The receipot-refresh is NOT transparent to the user. They will be asked to log into their App Store account if they have not logged into it within the past few minutes.

Verify the receipt before initially granting rights to the user when they make a purchase or restore. Then don't reverify ever again. It isn't worth it. The number of users who will ask for a refund from the App Store, be granted the refund and then continue to use the IAP is very small. And in the rare case that you detect such a thief and stop them from using the IAP it is unlikely they will make the IAP purchase again. So you gain nothing from the reverification effort and you will annoy all of your users.

Replies

The receipot-refresh is NOT transparent to the user. They will be asked to log into their App Store account if they have not logged into it within the past few minutes.

Verify the receipt before initially granting rights to the user when they make a purchase or restore. Then don't reverify ever again. It isn't worth it. The number of users who will ask for a refund from the App Store, be granted the refund and then continue to use the IAP is very small. And in the rare case that you detect such a thief and stop them from using the IAP it is unlikely they will make the IAP purchase again. So you gain nothing from the reverification effort and you will annoy all of your users.

This is such a useful post thanks PBK

Actually, PBK. Is this also relevant for Subscriptions?

What if the payment in month 3/4/etc of 12 is declined, effectively ending the subscription?