3 Replies
      Latest reply on Nov 27, 2019 9:04 PM by KMT
      CodeInc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

An iPad app I'm developing for research stores usage data within the app's local Sqlite database. Can anybody suggest the best way to make the data available to researchers without reliance upon any server infrastructure?

In an earlier revision of the app, data was uploaded to remotely hosted servers, but to remove dependencies on any external service, the desire is to now collect data on the device only and periodically export the associated database to a Mac or PC. The actual method for transferring data is unimportant as long as servers aren't required.

Thank you,

CodeInc

• Re: Serverless Access to iOS App Data
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,245 points)

Assuming you can bundle the data up, say via zip, you might want to look into using 'Share'...AirDrop, Messages, Mail, DropBox, iCloud - some of course involve servers, but when you say without, I figure you mean your own.

CodeInc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks KMT,

Actually, I mean without servers entirely. Assume iPads are distributed to end-users where they'll collect data, and then, later, returned to the researchers. One ideal solution would be for the researchers to connect each iPad to a Mac via a cable and transfer data across the cable to the Mac. As you are no doubt aware, XCode enables a developer to view connected iPad logs. I was hoping for something similar, but for local data access.

I've considered using the 'Share' mechanism, as you suggest, but was wondering if there are any other options.

Cheers,

CodeInc

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,245 points)

>One ideal solution would be for the researchers to connect each iPad to a Mac via a cable and transfer data across the cable to the Mac

That won't work unless the logged-in owner on the mac, and the iPad, are the same itunes/apple ID user. You can't just casually cable an iPad to anyone's mac and browse it's contents/files like it's a thumbdrive.

Yes, you can connect via Xcode and use the Devices and Simulators menu to sniff logs, but that process doesn't allow for casual data browsing.

I think it would be much simpler to look into using AirDrop in your example. No cables, just Wi-Fi, and, when properly authorized, you can send to someone's else's nearby device, not just your own. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106

Other methods include 3rd party file sharing apps for iOS found in the App Store, and portable Wi-Fi drives.