All Watch OS 2 apps written in Swift does not quite work in Beta 4, But ObjC does... Why??

Spent a whole evening to confirm this..

Using the latest XCode 7/iOS9/WatchOS2 Beta 4.

Watch Apps written in Swift pretty much doesn't work at all. They either take an absurd amount of time to start up, requiring the workaround mentioned in the Release notes. Or once they do start up, they do not perform the expected functionalities reliably.

On the other hand, the same code written in ObjC works. This is very frustrating. Wondering if anyone is seeing this as well.

Replies

I am seeing this too with my Swift app. I haven't tried an ObjC app yet though.

Everybody is seeing this - this has been the case since beta 3. Appearantly watchOS developers are all using Objective-C and they did not realize the issue. 😟

Is it therefore - after updating to beta 4 on Watch and iPhone, Apps like Twitter etc. no longer works?

No they saw this issue. When you scroll to this forum the problem existed already in beta 3. But also with Objective C you have new other issues.

Maybe most of the developers stopped their work and wait for the beta 5 or they have such a simple watch app that there is not much testing neccessary.