How can I publish standalone watchOS6 app on App Store Connect?

hi,

watchOSv6 apps can run independently, without needing an iPhone. they can even be isntalled directly on watch.

However, I was looking for option in App Store Connect page to publish an independent watchOS6 app, and couldn't find any option there.

One can publish an iOS app, tvOS app or macOS app, but there is no watchOS app category.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of omar.softrove Down vote post of omar.softrove
3.3k views

Replies

This is very poorly documented!

And since I just went multiple rounds with developer support until I figured this out (I'm not sure that developer support understands how confusing this is...) I'll share what I learned:

1. When you create a new Watch App project (not an iOS App with Watch App), note that it creates a Watch App target, a Watch Extension target, AND an almost empty iOS App target (no code, storyboards, xcassets, but under build phases it is dependent on the Watch App and embeds the Watch app).

2. On App Store Connect, you create a new iOS app project for your independent Watch app, but only fill in the data related to the Watch part of the project.

3. Archive and upload your project as you normally would a standard iOS project.

Voila! (And yes, that is not intuitive).

• Thanks for this!

I've been developing a standalone watchOS app and was wondering what that iOS target was for. I deleted it a while ago and though I can find the lines corresponding to the "iOS wrapper" in the .pbxproj file in the source control history, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to add this target back to my project short of creating a new standalone watch project and transferring everything over

Add a Comment
Thanks, this was very useful.