Mail cannot import

Now that Outlook 2011 still hangs on OS X 10.11 dev preview 4, and Outlook 2016 crashes during import from Outlook 2011, I decided to try to move to Apple Mail.

But it's no more stable. It crashes trying to import any .mbox file (exported from Outlook 2011). If I choose the mbox import format, it crashes. If I choose apple mail format it says the new mailbox can be found in the import folder. But it's not there at all.

Stuck with no viable mail client. Am I the only one here?

Replies

I'm not affiliated, but Postbox seems to be a stable client with the last couple of betas

Thanks, I'm checking it out now.

First impressions: It's promising. I like that it seems to include basic scripting support. First test importing an mbox folder worked, albeit with a warning message about a potential format mismatch**.

Concerns:

1) Given my history from Eudora to Entourage to Outlook and now to ?, I'm pretty interested in something that's going to stand the test of time. Do you think this will? We can't even get stability from Apple or Microsoft, why should I trust this?

2) It already looks long-in-the-tooth. Several immediately noticable graphical glitches, including the search box in the upper right.

Questions:

1) where to find example applescripts?

2) what betas? I cannot find any mention of them on their website.

** importing required installing an add-on. also despite multiple options for importing folders of mbox files with subdirectories, etc., only importing one at a time worked. and they annoyingly came with the .mbox extension in the folder name. the error you get each time is: "This "mbox" file uses a different format from the Thunderbird folder format and it's possible that Thunderbird can't handle it properly. Do you want to continue?"