iCloud Drive issue in Beta 3

Since I installed beta 3 yesterday, fileproviderd has been killing the CPU and folders for iOS apps are suddenly showing up. Luckily my iCloud Drive in Mojave on my personal Mac still looks fine.

Anyone else seeing this?

Replies

Same here, it seems as though it might be updating every file over and over again.

I wouldn't count on Mojave looking good for long. This started in beta 1 or beta 2, and I can now see hundreds of these undeletable folders in iCloud Drive on every system including Mojave, the iOS 12 Files app, etc.

I tried to figure out how to fix it, but feels hopeless until the underlying bug is fixed. One thing I know is that even if you think you've deleted the folders, they just come right back.

Its a noted problem in the release notes including a potential issue where you might need to use recover deleted items from iCloud in some instances. See the release notes for more.

I was able to go to my iPad and download a file from iCloud. Once I did that, ALL my iCloud files were available from my Mac. Not sure what this did, but it cleared up the log jam and the "Cannot download" error in Catalina went away.

Is there any solution, even a temporary one? My laptop's cpu usage is really high with this happening.

Having the exact same issue, and I am very surprised this isn't number one issue people complain about. It is critical for files that are in iDrive (iCloud) to be in a stable and reliable service. I constantly see issues with iCloud folders appearing and disappearing. Then deleting some folders, to have them reappear a few minutes later. Also as mentioned by your post the high cpu usage makes everything slow, worried what it could be doing to my files, which at many times I am not doing any changes.

Something as iCloud that had been working fine is totally unreliable now, don’t understand what developers where thinking to improve making it now so unreliable.

On a computer with Mojave, things look fine, but whenever I make changes on computer with Catalina, it does not sync changes in iDrive to other computers, sometimes in iOS I see status changed to uploading to some folders.

In short, iCloud sync is broken, had to install OneDrive and move all my documents there, just to be safe.

Me too 🙂, I am also surprised this isn't the number one issue. Cause my cpu goes with this beta 3 catalina , constantly through the roof... Way over 100% CPU, and the fan noise is also going up very frequently...

So I am shareing your thoughts. Hopefully there is a fix soon with an update...

Cheers

Most of the time i see in my activity monitor these two processes eating up all resources:

`fileproviderd` and `iCloudDrive`

Same thing happening to me on Beta 4 19A512f, it seems related to photos.app and there are some warnings and errors in Console.app, though I'm not sure what they are about.

I seem to be having a similar issue. I have documents and desktop stored in iCloud. I now have 15 copies of the documents folder. Some are empty, some have all the folder structure but no files, and some have just some of the files and folders. I’ve also found copies of files in other areas of iCloud Drive so my issue isn’t something just specific to the documents and desktop/iCloud feature. I was initially worried that having OneDrive store its local copy of my files in iCloud Drive was causing something weird to happen but when it started to happen to the documents folder I realized that had nothing to do with it. It’s going to be very time consuming and difficult to rebuild the documents folder with all of the most recent versions of all of my files since it seems not a single of them actually have all of my documents. I logged into iCloud.com and looked on my iPad, each show the same thing I’m seeing on my MacBook. If anyone know a workaround or way to stop the endless creation of duplicate files please share.

Does anyone know if this issue is still persistent in the latest betas?

I thought it was fixed. Started to clean up my documents folder last week. This morning i go to save a file and now theres duplicates that were created just this morning. I know this folder was free of any duplicates last week. Not sure how bad it is, but even if it's duplicating one file over and over that is one too many and I'm not going through the painstaking process of trying to fix this mess caused by this beta.

I'm thinking I am going to have to copy all my documents out of iCloud Drive, turn off optimize Documents and Desktop, turn off iCloud Drive, and sign out of iCloud. Turning off optimize and iCloud, and signing out of iCloud on all other devices as well. Remove the duplicates, merge all originals back into the original Documents folder. Then sign into iCloud.com and remove all contents of the "Documents" folder or possibly the "Documents" folder itself? Then sign back into iCloud on MacBook, turn iCloud Drive back on, turn optimize back on, move a COPY of the repaired "Documents" folder's contents or the folder itself, cross my fingers, sit back and wait and see what happens.