Want to learn design

Does anyone have som tips on courses, blogs or similar I can take/read in order to learn how to make my app look better? I can make my app work, but it doesent look very nice.

Any tips will be appreciated

Replies

Did you read first Apple design guidelines ?

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/

A good way to learn is to look at other apps, not to copy but to ask each time the question: what makes it pleasant to use, what is great in this view… And a last thing: keep it simple, don't try to add fancy features just for the sake of it.

hi,

in addition to Claude31's suggestions, i'd recommend looking at Mark Moeykens's (Big Mountain Studios) "Itinerary App Course" on YouTube. he has several parts early in the series talking directly about design issues (colors, fonts, icons, look-and-feel), and often comes back during the series to look at custom design issues for UITableView cells, buttons, and so forth.

hope that helps,

DMG

Not all devs have those skills too, so don't feel bad.

You could hire someone to design it for you, but not all devs have that type of budget, but wait...it doesn't take a budget to put your app in front of users and get their feedback, working step/by/step to incorporate their ideas, keeping in mind that process is basically iterative, so expect to learn things about your app as you go, just be flexible as you follow where that leads. Don't be surprised if it results in an entirely new type of app, etc.

About icons, tho, those -may- be worth paying someone else to design if you can't manage to whip up something clean/attractive.

About what you can read...start here for help from the mothership: View Design Resources

Good luck.