Adopting iOS 13’s UITextInteraction to custom text view does not work.

I am working on a custom editable text view recently and I would like to adopt new iOS 13 selection gestures through the newly added UITextInteraction.

I started by implementing a subclass of UIView and making it conforming to the UITextInput protoocol. So far I have implemented all code for converting between selection range and screen point (hit-testing and rectangle for range). I have manually rendered selection and caret. I also use a tap gesture recognizer to update caret position whenever a tap happens.

Then, I proceed to follow the session on UITextInteraction, following the three lines of code suggested there:

let interaction = UITextInteraction()

interaction.textInput = myTextView

myTextVIew.addInteraction(interaction)

Strangely, there seems to be no effect when I trying to playing around on the iOS simulator. Which piece of code should I look for any troubleshooting?

A separate but closely related issue: which visual features are automatically provided when UITextInput protoocl is implemented correctly? Is it true that I have to use my own tap gesture recognizer to do the click-to-change-caret workflow? It feels something that can be handled by the system. Plus, is there some Apple-backed library to draw caret and selection, including the two vertical bars with balls boundaries for selection? I could draw them myself to make it mimick the system’s default visual look but it feels very anti-pattern.

Accepted Reply

It turns out that my very mistake is to use my own gestrue recognizer. It will somehow interfere with UITextInteraction’s. I am not quite familiar with the whole mulitple gesture recognizer, but I seem to have much to learn.

Furthermore, the adoption of UITextInteraction will relieve me from drawing my own caret, selection, et cetera. So this is really great.

Replies

It turns out that my very mistake is to use my own gestrue recognizer. It will somehow interfere with UITextInteraction’s. I am not quite familiar with the whole mulitple gesture recognizer, but I seem to have much to learn.

Furthermore, the adoption of UITextInteraction will relieve me from drawing my own caret, selection, et cetera. So this is really great.

Can you perhaps post an example of your UITextInput-adopting view?