5 Replies
      Latest reply on Jun 4, 2019 10:43 AM by KMT
      dukez4190 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Does anyone known of a way for me to set a restriction on the CPU usage?

For analysis purposes, I would like my app to be ran on a single CPU core on my iOS device.

• Re: Building an app to be ran on single CPU
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,185 points)

Might be best to first see if Instruments allows you to judge performance without jumping thru such hoops.

Especially since your scenario will never occur in the wild.

Thank you for the reply!

I did go through the Instrument when I was checking the CPU usage of each core, but I was unable to find anything that seemed to controlled the CPU usage of the connected device.

I did find a setting which let you control the number of active CPU under prefernce, but I beleive this is for the Mac?

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,185 points)

>but I beleive this is for the Mac?

Only, yes, as I see it.

On a device, while you can count cores, I not aware of a way to bifurcate them in action.

>controlled the CPU usage of the connected device.

That seems different from your original 'analysis purposes'... What does your app do that it requires that control, other than testing?

Again, if performance testing is your goal, Instruments is your friend. I don't think Apple wants devs manhandling the mobile hardware otherwise

Sorry, I should of explained what my app does in the first place.

My application is built only to test a function from a static library linked to the project.

The library itself performs some DSP analysis, which I measure the MIPS and display the results on to the screen after it is finished.

But since the codebase for the static library has been used to built library for low-level platform running single core, I wanted to obtain the MIPS performance of iOS app running on single core to have similar test environment.

I kind of expected this answer to be a no, but wanted to make sure I did not miss anything obvious that I could of done. Thank you!