Instruments Record Button Disabled for Device

Has anyone faced the issue where Instruments' record button is disabled when running on device? The only reference to this I could find was on Stack Overflow, where someone suggested making the Profile scheme use the Debug build configuration. I've done that to no avail.

Replies

What version of Instruments? Which template (Allocations, Time Profiler, etc..) were you trying to run? And what device/OS version?

Depending on the version of Instruments, hovering on the Record button will give you a tooltip with a reason, and/or the reason should also appear on the trackview (near the right edge.)

Instruments 6.4. Devices are 1) iPhone 5 with iOS 8.4 and 2) iPad Air with iOS 8.2. Templates that don't work: Dispatch and any of the Core Data templates. After posting here, I noticed a little exclamation mark saying "this device does not support this instrument". Not exactly sure what that means. Is it my device or do those instruments only work in simulator?

Is there documentation about each template somewhere that talks about this?

That error is just telling you that the instrument you have in that document won't work with the particular device you have selected. In this case, those instruments are based on DTrace, which does not exist on iOS devices. So yes, you need to use them in the simulator.

Really the easiest way to figure out what is supported is to give it a try (because of the large number of instruments, host OSes, devices, device OSes, etc...)

That little exclamation mark will let you know why the particular combination you have selected isn't working.

I get this same message/error when attempting to run a custom instrument on a simulator target. With the "allocations" and "VM tracker" instruments in my template, I added a custom instrument. The traces for allocations and vm tracker are then set to read "This instrument's supported recording modes are deferred" and the custom instrument reads "This instrument's recording modes are none"

Unfortunately, custom instruments not working with the simulator are a known issue.

I had same issue, and Instruments' record button and menu are disabled and grayed for my iPad Pro and iPhone 5S with my MacBook Air (2011 mid).

Someone told me try to reboot the device, and it works now!

So, try rebooting the device.