New 3.1.3(b) Multiplatform Services Guideline

Since IAPs were first created you were not allowed to unlock code in an app using anything other than IAPs (aka 3.1.3 first bullet). That has now changed. New guideline 3.1.3(b) (see below) allows an app to accept a purchase from another platform and use that to "access content, subscriptions, or features". "(F)eatures" here means unlocking code.

This new 3.1.3(b) supercedes many of my past comments. Thank you anti-trust law.

3.1.3(b) Multiplatform Services: Apps that operate across multiple platforms may allow users to access content, subscriptions, or features they have acquired elsewhere, including consumable items in multi-platform games, provided those items are also available as in-app purchases within the app. You must not directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods must not discourage use of in-app purchase.

Replies

You're pretty active regarding this topic, since I remember posts of you about it a long time ago already. What's your opinion and take on this newly introduced bullet?

I personally think that is great news, really giving us permission to integrate cross platform purchases for those few users that happen to switch back and forth between operating systems. Unless I'm missing something?

> permission to integrate cross platform purchases for those few users that happen to switch back and forth between operating systems.

I believe this is an edge case because of the "few" in "those few users". Apple is reasonably concerned that developers will use this to avoid the 30% fee.

(Disclaimer - I am not an anti-trust attorney........etc.) But I think it has a significant impact on the anti-trust litigation now underway in two regards. First, it releases the tie-in between the two different 'markets' (iOS apps and non-iOS apps both for mobile devices) and second it integrates those two markets. A key component in anti-trust law is the definition of the 'market'. If the market is just 'iOS apps' then Apple has market dominance and is subject to anti-trust restrictions. If the market is 'computer software' then Apple is a minority player and avoids many anti-trust restrictions. If the market is 'mobile device software' then Apple may or may not be subject to anti-trust restrictions. It's complicated and very exciting. Stay tuned.