3 Replies
      Latest reply on Sep 7, 2019 9:08 PM by suMac
      SwampDog Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Folks;

When I run an archived copy of my mac application on a test dev machine (not my main dev box) I see errors in the Console log that trouble me...

1) I see this error immediately before any of my code executes!

error 16:14:25.839821 -0700 [MYAPPNAME] Couldn't read values in CFPrefsPlistSource<0x6000000ed280> (Domain: [MYAPPBUNDLEID], User: kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, ByHost: No, Container: (null), Contents Need Refresh: Yes): accessing preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-read or file-read-data sandbox access, detaching from cfprefsd

I open my standard defaults (a .plist) in -awakeFromNib like so:

NSUserDefaults *ud = [NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults];

[ud registerDefaults:[NSDictionary dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"WhodoMacOSDefaults" ofType:@"plist"]]];

[ud setObject:launch_Date forKey:kKudosLaunchDate];

This activity throws 2 of these errors in the console:

error 16:14:26.429881 -0700 [MYAPPNAME] attempt to set <private> for key in <private> in non-persistent preferences domain CFPrefsPlistSource<0x6000000ed280> (Domain: [MYAPPBUNDLEID], User: kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, ByHost: No, Container: (null), Contents Need Refresh: Yes)

Then subsequently every 'set' for NSUserDefaults throw another of these into the console log...

Nothing fancy going on in this app: no app groups, no iCloud, no hardened runtime...

I don't see a 'user-preference-read' option in the standard entitlement document.

Am I missing some basic conguration setting?

Is this all just a by-product of running a 'development' archive?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Steve

• Re: macOS & NSUserDefaults
          john daniel Level 3 Level 3 (400 points)

Have you done any hacking around on preferences? Is the a sandbox build?

In either case, you should always do:

killall prefsd

if the preferences system seems flaky or if you have hacked around on things. See if that clears it up. Restarting would effectively do the same thing too.

SwampDog Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

John;

Well Thank-You!

I quite the app and then used ActivityMonitor and 'ForceQuit' the 'root' instance and the instance running on the user account.

Re-ran the app and no more of the errors described above.  Cool

suMac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Have you found our what was the cause of the problem?

It happens to me now, all the time, when I run (debug) from Xcode, my App which is like yours - a simplistic Cocoa app (Document based) with no "extensions" or "groups" or whatever.

It is, though, a sandboxed app (I set up the checkboxes to the best of my understanding, and archive it without diffuculty) but now I get these errors:

2019-09-07 19:49:09.598967+0300 PlanktoMetrix-II[84292:22916507] [User Defaults] Couldn't read values in CFPrefsPlistSource<0x6000000eab80> (Domain: com.apple.PowerManagement, User: kCFPreferencesAnyUser, ByHost: Yes, Container: (null), Contents Need Refresh: Yes): accessing preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-read or file-read-data sandbox access, detaching from cfprefsd

and I'm wondering what I have done to cause this. My app Does register a set of defaults from a plist resource I have in the app once, upon launch - but that's all. And as much as I can see - nothing related to PowerManagement.