Reduce log verbosity in Xcode debugger

Is it possible to reduce the verbosity of logs from os_log when debugging an application? Specifically, can I filter to specific subsystems and / or exclude DEBUG logs using configuration?

Replies

Is it possible to reduce the verbosity of logs from os_log when debugging an application?

No )-: It would be nice if Xcode had the ability to filter log messages like the Console app does. I’m pretty sure we already have an enhancement request for this, but it wouldn’t hurt for you to file your own.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

In the meantime, I generally work around this limitation by running the Console app next to Xcode and using it to filter. I especially like the fact that Console can save searches.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

If you are talking about the device console, I think I can help you.

TL;DR: "Yes, you can filter unwanted content from the device console."

There is a search bar at the top of the device console window, top right. It's kind of hard to spot, particularly in dark mode. If you type in a query, like "Wifi" and hit enter, it will filter make that text into something that looks like a 'tag' and filter your content by that 'tag'. To filter out "Wifi", click on the "Any" drop down next to this 'tag' and change the option to "does not contain". It would be more efficient, though, to filter specifically by the name of your app rather than trying to filter out everything you don't want to see using exclusion filters.

I hope this answer helps you. If not, it may help someone else looking for what I've pointed out, so thanks for asking the question.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42839631/how-to-remove-verbose-network-messages-from-xcode

To turn off Verbose for OS Activity Mode

1. From the xcode menu, Project -> Scheme -> Edit Scheme.
  2. Then select Run on the left and then select Arguments tab on the right.
  3. In Environment Variables add the name OS_ACTIVITY_MODE and value as disable.
  • After switching to the new SwiftUI LocationButton the debug area is now filled with contrast statements. This makes it very hard to debug "my code". This solution disabling OS_ACTIVITY_MODE solved that issue.

Add a Comment

This issue has large gone away with the advent of the new console UI in Xcode 15. For more info, see the link in Your Friend the System Log.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"