Apple eSIM NOT GSMA standard compatible

Turns out, my iPhone, which I decidedly bought for its dual SIM support, is worthless as a brick.

While my carriers support eSIM, it turns out, that they support industry standard eSIM, and Apple cooked its own thing, which they don't support, and which requires each and every carrier to negotiate with Apple.

As a result, expect serious anti-competitive results: carriers may have to pay Apple to offer eSIM support for iPhones, as a result carriers will very likely restrict which plans they offer to iPhone users. The ability of just getting a SIM/eSIM without restrictions is over, now Apple and the carriers will tell you, which plans they allow on an iPhone, and which they do not.

No more walking into a store without a device, getting a SIM for whatever plan you want, and sticking it into the iPhone. No more walking into a strore, getting an eSIM card with QR code, and simply scanning it on your iPhone. No, you'll need an Apple specific eSIM. And who knows, next they drop physical SIMs altogether, or come up with proprietary SIM cards, which also only work with Apple.

This means, e.g. no possibility of getting say GooglFi on your iPhone, as Google will not support Apple's eSIM, even though of course they do support eSIM. That's how restriction of choice starts. When the next phones drop all physical SIM slots, we and the carriers will be held hostage by Apple. I hope the EU anti-trust authorities are on that like flies on ****.

I now fully understand why the mobile industry was so opposed to Apple's SIM ambitions: it is NOT that they fear competition, they don't want Apple as gatekeeper between them and their customers, which Apple is forcing onto them by going a proprietary route.

It is also misleading that Apple doesn't disclose on its product pages, that the eSIM in question is not in any way standard compliant, but a totally proprietary thing. Customers are led to believe, any carrier, which supports eSIM, would work. Far from it, each and every carrier will need to negotiate with Apple.

Hats off to the Chinese for not bowing to that nonsense.

Where can I swap my iPhone against a Chinese model?

Replies

I feel like there’s a reason for this and Apple trying to keep involved with sim activation...when the applesim came out it was supposed to be a universal sim...but when companies like AT&T were activated on that sim, it was permanently locked to AT&T and there was no way to use it on a different carrier, maybe that’s the reason? Don’t forget all the articles earlier in the year with DOJ investigating both Verizon and AT&T for trying to restrict esim use, rumor was that investigation was started from a complaint from Apple for carriers not being in the best interest of their customers.

Verizon and AT&T try to restrict the use of eSIMs in general, because they make it easier to switch carriers, and thus they increase churn.

However, Apple creating a non-standard eSIM which puts them as gatekeeper between customers and carriers, is an issue. Note that the issue with being permanently locked were specifically on a non-standard Apple SIM, in other words, that may have been a "feature" Apple added to make eSIMs more palatable to carriers, but it's certainly not a feature that benefits the consumer.

Fact is, in Europe there are carriers that offer eSIM, based on the GSMA standard, and all you do, is scan the QR code, and off you go, as it should be. Problem is, it doesn't work with iPhones, because Apple is cooking a proprietary soup.

Back in the day, Apple stood for open standards, while M$, Adobe, etc. tried to push proprietary things onto their customers to lock them in. Now Apple is more and more in the same league, and the fan boys find excuses over excuses why it's not comparable with what M$ etc. did back then.

Not sure that proves that it is not GSMA compatible. Just proves it cannot be activated without carreier supporting.

Isn't it the same question as your other thread ?

eSIM is eSIM. GSMA compliant eSIMs can be activated without support of the hardware vendor, that's the whole point of the QR code: it's supposed to work like sticking in a physical SIM card.

Several talks with the carrier resulted in the same answers: Apple's "eSIM" isn't a GSMA standard eSIM, but an eSIM-like electronic subscriber information module of Apple's design.

Calls to Apple's tech support resulted in veiled answers to the same end.

NB: the other thread had two components, and was written before I had multiple confirmations on the non-standard nature of Apple's "eSIM"

Thanks for the information. I'll try to learn more about it, wether or not Apple "eSim" is GSMA compliant.