Updated provisioning profile not in updated app

Hi, I recently created 2 new provisioning profiles that are due to expire in a few weeks for our application, lets call them A and B. I re-signed and wrapped the application for distribution via our MDM MobileIron. When the application updates OR on fresh installs on devices, the MDM shows A updated with the 2019 expiration and B still has the old 2018 expiration. Again this stands true even with fresh installs.

My primary question is, when the old 2018 p.p's expire, will the 2019 p.p's automatically kick in since it is embedded within the application using the same bundle id or is a case where the new p.p. is somehow not installing on the devices? To me the later doesn't make sense because the new application has both new p.p's.

Also, a secondary question. I was advised by developer support to create new provisioning profiles every year when it's time to renew, but now that I'm reading the forums, it looks like people do renew them instead of recreating each year. What is the best practice?

Replies

I'm not real familiar with MDM systems, did use MobileIron to include the profiles with the app, or Xcode? If Xcode, did you try (in Xcode) Preferences > Accounts, select team, click "Download Manual Profiles", then try again?

MobileIron for this task is essentially used for distribution of the application to managed devices. I'm not a developer, so apologies if I mess the lingo here. The profiles were signed & wrapped to the app from within Apple terminal. I do have Xcode on the machine but I'm not accessing it directly for any of this process, not sure if Xcode indirectly interacts with terminal. Once the app is uploaded into MobileIron, it pulls in the profiles into the configuration section, but it doesnt update 1 of 2 of them which is where my uncertainty lies.

I'm quite surprised it's so hard to find an answer on how the profiles work. I'm thinking that the system still wants to use the existing profile yet to expire and once it does, it will update and use the new profile since they are using the same bundle id. As you can imagine, if this is wrong and the app is somehow broke, then expiriation date we'll have lots of unhappy people.

I don't have experience with signing via command line (terminal), but since no one else has offered suggestions yet, I'll continue the conversation 🙂. It could still be that when you sign from the command line, it does not check your developer account for a newer version of the profile, and download it if there is one. Since you have Xcode installed, assuming it is the current version, you could try my suggestion of downloading manual profiles from Xcode's Preferences window, then do your signing from terminal again to see if that forces it to use the newer one. If it doesn't, look in your Library folder (Click Go from finder menu, hold down Command key to show the Library entry, click Library.) Then go to MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles. Ctrl-Click or Right-Click on the files listed and choose Get Info to see if you can find both the newer and older versions of the distribution profile you refer to as B. If they are both there, move the old one somewhere else (or delete it, but I wouldn't empty the trash right away 🙂), then try signing again.