iOS 12.1 beta 2 Dual-SIM active LTE issues

iPhone XS Max with Dual-SIM service active - eSIM activated by Carrier (Bell - Canada) and physical SIM inserted also activated by Carrier (Bell - Canada). Originally activated the Dual-SIM service while still on iOS 12.1 beta 1 and LTE service (Voice & Data) was working perfectly fine on the eSIM line which was set as the “Primary” line. However, after updating to iOS 12.1 beta 2 I found that no matter what settings I toggle on/off, I could not get LTE service back up on the eSIM line even after confirming LTE service is available. Network service indicator consistently showing “3G” only. Both lines (i.e. eSIM & physical SIM) have LTE service (Voice & Data) available and all of the areas where testing was performed has LTE coverage available also. Did a Speedtest check and found that it’s definitely only getting 3G speeds (10-16 Mbps).

Replies

No issue on German Vodafone eSIM vs SIM Card, both run 4G on iOS 12.1.

I only can't get the eSIM alone to activate iMessage ...

Are you running 12.1 beta 1 or beta 2?

The network indicator for you displays "4G" or "LTE" for both lines?

Would you also have a network indicator displayed as "3G" from your carrier if you were only receiving a 3G signal?

You aware/know that you can only have a single line dedicated for iMessage?

Did you try activating iMessage on the physical SIM and then trying to switch it to the eSIM afterwards?

I was able to successfully activate iMessage on both the eSIM and the physical SIM and have it currently set to the eSIM, however, I have found that messages received/sent on my physical SIM are somehow going through as iMessages instead of standard SMS/Text messages which I did originally experience on iOS 12.1 beta 1 once I had activated both lines.

I noticed to my dismay, that recently the "cellular" settings have been renamed into "mobile data" on my iPhone XSmax.

The section where one would scan a QR code to add a second line is now labled "add a data plan".

It seems the latest iOS beta curtailed the functionality and reduced the eSIM to a data plan.

If that's an indication of what's to come, that would mean we might have to wait MONTHS until a 12.2 release or later, to get the functionality we paid for, or Apple renegs on the whole dual SIM dual standby idea, and reduces the second sim to a data plan only function.

I don't understand what's the hold up. Sure, eSIM activation may be an issue, but given that two active lines seem to work in the Chinese phones...

...and why can't we buy them here? Exactly the same bands, and none of that eSIM nonsense, that seems to get delayed ever more.

Worse, got a QR code from an Austrian carrier, and the iPhone won't accept it. Called up the carrier, and they said that means Apple's eSIM must not be GSMA standard compliant. Go figure.

iMessage activation works, but it takes 24 hours. Just leave it for a day, you'll see.

Worse, got a QR code from an Austrian carrier, and the iPhone won't accept it. Called up the carrier, and they said that means Apple's eSIM must not be GSMA standard compliant. Go figure.

Not sure that means that !

There seems to be, at present, only one carrier in Austria supporting the Apple eSim. Is it your carrier ?

If not, the problem could be on carrier side who did not give you the correct answer, not on GSMA compatibility.

Same here I have esim for Jio (india) and physical sim for Vodafone after installing iOS 12.1.1 beta 3 esim LTE stopped working I can receive and dial calls but internet totally down I have made esim as primary and Vodafone as secondary, I can use internet 4g from Vodafone

In the mean time, drei.at has played Apple's game, and now things are Apple compatible. So far so good.

Still bad, that it even should require Apple's involvement, given that physical SIM cards do not require cooperation from the device manufacturer.

Also, even though I had multiple phone numbers registered with FaceTime/iMessage for years, now that I have two of them in the same phone, I can no longer have both registered, and must choose one. ***?!?

There's of course an (expensive!) bypass: get a secondary SIM with the same phone number from one of the carriers, and put it into an old iPhone, and register that number with iMessage from there. But should I really have to pay a carrier €5/month, just so I can have both numbers active in iMessage, and that in a DUAL-SIM, DUAL-STANDBY phone? Anyway, posted a separate question on that. Hope Apple realizes how backwards this is ASAP and fixes it.

Hello Team,

I have updated to ios 12.1.1 beta 3 on iphone 6s since then jio (india) lte is not working properly on the phone. some apps like app store, youtube, safari open but icloud, amazon saying no internet connected.
I reset the network settings, restore to phone still the issue persist when i downgraded the phone to iOS 12.1 official release it is working fine. What is the solution for this. becuase i can't restore my backup on official release too.

Hello Team,

I have updated to ios 12.1.1 beta 3 on iphone 6s since then jio (india) lte is not working properly on the phone. some apps like gmail, youtube, WhatsApp open but icloud, amazon, app store (open but do not download/update apps), gaana, outlook, skype saying no internet connected. It was working fine for IOS 12.1. Surprisingly all works fine on Wifi.

I reset the network settings, reset phone as new. Nothing works

What is the solution for this. becuase i can't restore my backup on official release too. I have sent multiple feedbacks from my phone, but reply yet. Note - Beta Feedback app do not work on mobile network

Regards

Ramesh Kumar

I have the exact same issue. I hope they release a patch quickly I got jio for travelling in india and its been nothing but a pain with no internet for half the services