7 Replies
      Latest reply on Jun 14, 2019 8:52 AM by doughill
      geekb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The system font seems to still be Helvetica Neue for me. My machine is on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Xcode is 10.0 (10A255). I'd like to change my app's font to use the SF font.

• Re: Where is San Francisco font in the font dropdown menu?
          Claude31 Level 8 Level 8 (6,395 points)

Not installed by default.

Find here how to install.

h ttps://medium.com/@shashikant.jagtap/getting-apples-sf-mono-font-in-macos-1de5183add84

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,575 points)

> I'd like to change my app's font to use the SF font.

SF is strictly a system font and except for prototyping, devs are not free to use it in their own UI elements.

geekb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

If it's not meant to be used in our own UI elements why do they say "Get your apps ready with the San Francisco fonts." and the iOS typography guidelines suggest it as well. Am I not following something correctly?

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,575 points)

From the SF Font page:

"The system font for iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS."

What part of 'system font' isn't clear?

'get your apps ready' doesn't mean 'feel free to use sf font in your app' - it means you can see what your ui will look like when it includes system ui elements based on sf font. See below.

Quoting the license included w/the download...

IMPORTANT NOTE:  THE APPLE SAN FRANCISCO FONT IS TO BE USED SOLELY FOR CREATING MOCK-UPS OF USER INTERFACES TO BE USED IN SOFTWARE PRODUCTS RUNNING ON APPLE’S iOS, macOS OR tvOS OPERATING SYSTEMS, AS APPLICABLE.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Limited License. Subject to the terms of this License, you may use the Apple Font solely for creating mock-ups of user interfaces to be used in software products running on Apple’s iOS, macOS or tvOS operating systems, as applicable. The foregoing right includes the right to show the Apple Font in screen shots, images, mock-ups or other depictions, digital and/or print, of such software products running solely on iOS, macOS or tvOS.

You may use this Apple Font only for the purposes described in this License and only if you are a registered Apple Developer, or as otherwise expressly permitted by Apple in writing.

B. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Font for the purpose of creating mock-ups of user interfaces to be used in software products running on any non-Apple operating system or to enable others to do so. You may not embed the Apple Font in any software programs or other products.  Except as expressly provided for herein, you may not use the Apple Font to, create, develop, display or otherwise distribute any documentation, artwork, website content or any other work product.

doughill Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The San Francisco font is the system font used by apps and the system internally. Apple hasn't made this font available for users in the Font panel, as it is hidden. It is installed but can't be chosen in apps like Word, etc.

As mentioned below you can install the font yourself and it will show up in the font panel and be available in your apps like Word. See here:

https://developer.apple.com/fonts/

As was also mentioned, it is legally murky whether this is allowed, as Apple restricts use of the font you install yourself to UI mockups and prototyping. This is unfortunate because it is a great font for users and there are many interesting features available in the Typography pane of the Font panel.

For more info about special SF font features and an easy way for developers to use them in their app, feel free to check out my library I wrote:

https://github.com/djfitz/SFFontFeatures