Apple Help Authoring Errors

I'm trying to integrate some HTML help files into my app. When I attempt to access the app help, I get the dreaded "The selected content is currently unavailable" error. In the debug console the following is printed:

2018-09-20 23:46:23.397250-0700 TibThobMac[8790:269010] Entering AHRegisterHelpBookWithURL

2018-09-20 23:46:23.431901-0700 TibThobMac[8790:269010] [default] Could not find access page in directory /Users/rrova/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TibThobMac-ampyccwmtzjdkhalvkvwqpgpztbw/Build/Products/Debug/TibThobMac.app/Contents/Resources/Help

2018-09-20 23:46:23.435642-0700 TibThobMac[8790:269010] [default] Unable to load Info.plist exceptions (eGPUOverrides)

Please note that my index.html file is in the referenced directory, and has the correct AppleTitle meta tag. The info.plist has the correct values as well. The com.apple.help.plist shows the book as registered. I've tried many different folder setups: in top level directory, in Resources directory, in Resources/Contents directory, in Resources/Contents/English.lproj and all of them result in the errors noted above. The "Unable to load Info.plist..." message also occurs at startup. Can anyone explain what that means and does it impact the help viewing? And what does "Could not find access page in directory" signify? But most importantly, how do I get the help displayed?

Accepted Reply

Not sure the message on info.plist explains why you don't get the help file

see this other thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/108059

Is it OSX App (I guess so) ?

Could you show the code where you try to access the help file ?

May have a look here too:

h ttp://swiftrien.blogspot.com/2015/06/adding-apple-help-to-os-x-application.html

Replies

I should mention, I'm using the Sept 17 Xcode 10 build, and running the Mojave Beta.

Not sure the message on info.plist explains why you don't get the help file

see this other thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/108059

Is it OSX App (I guess so) ?

Could you show the code where you try to access the help file ?

May have a look here too:

h ttp://swiftrien.blogspot.com/2015/06/adding-apple-help-to-os-x-application.html

Thanks! I hadn't seen that article and it works for me. Now I can finally finish this app! Sure would be nice if Apple provided some up-to-date documentation.

Rick