DELETE/PUT in AppleMusic API

Hi,

Since today, we are no more able to do DELETE/PUT request on the Apple Music API.

So, we can't update a playlist details, delete a playlist, delete tracks in playlist, delete tracks in library...

Old methods allowed are now returning only an HTTP Code 403.

Why this change in the Apple Music API ? We can hope that will be back soon ?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of blackarcanis Down vote post of blackarcanis
8.1k views

Replies

Any update ?

Hi,

I'm still looking on a way to delete a track in a playlist thanks the Apple Music API (it has been possible when you have released the API).

Can you give us more details when we will be able to do that again ?

Thank you.

Only the ability to add items to the Cloud Library and editable playlists is currently available in the Apple Music API. Thank you for the feedback, we understand developers would like the ability to work with the library in additional ways using these APIs.

Great !

Do you have any expected date for this so ?

Thank you, glad to hear you have this idea in head.

Is there any plans to add DELETE methods to the Apple Music API, especially for playlists?

This limitation is a showstopper for my project.

with apple music web launched yesterday, i thought i would see if they allow any deleting of resources.

the good news: they do. you can delete albums, though it does it in a weird way, by deleting all the songs from the album one after another by sending a DELETE command to /v1/library/<songid>. this doesn't work very well as half the time that endpoint 404's for all the requests and even if it doesn't, the album doesn't disappear. beta software i guess. but none of that matters because of ...

the bad news: apple music web uses a special secret api hosted at amp-api.music.apple.com, which your userTokens won't work against (tried it in Paw).

In summary, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please add support to remove saved songs/albums/artists! This is key functionality for managing a user's library.

Is there an update on this?
Hi, the update is that Apple Music API only allows adding to the cloud library Cloud Library and editable playlists at this time. We are still aware that developers using Apple Music API would like the ability to work with the library in additional including deleting tracks from the user's library.
@_jb, these endpoints are enabled for the amp-api domain that Apple Music for Web uses. Do you have a timeline for when they will be enabled for developers or are we just out of luck?
So we can't remove tracks that we added to a playlist? Pretty strange API design...

No wonder Spotify have much more going on, on their playlists.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of j00n Down vote reply of j00n
I’d love to see DELETE/PUT endpoints for playlist tracks and POST for playlist descriptions. These would give developers a lot more to work with in their apps. As it stands now, if I want to update an existing playlist, I have to delete songs via the Music app on either iOS or MacOS.
Can someone explain the reasoning behind removing functionality that was previously offered? When a user is in one of our apps and adds a song to their library, shouldn't they be able to undo that action??

How about some documentation as well? Why is "Add a Resource to a Library" only under the albums section of the API docs? You might as well call out this intentional limitation there.
To _jb and the Apple engineering team:

Is there an “official” way to request new Apple Music API endpoints, or is this forum the best place? Here’s my wishlist. Everyone else please reply with yours too!
  • PUT: replace or reorder tracks from a start to an end index

• DELETE: delete tracks at specific indices

Another request would be making user-generated playlists visible to 3rd-party clients, such as Sonos. Right now I can only see Apple’s playlists.

Thanks!
  • Just bumping this to ask if there might be any news or updates about expanding the Apple Music API? Thanks.

• Amen, Amen, Amen! You charge us $100 for a Developer's License when I just want to automate some things around my playlist. This is a very disappointing limitation and I agree with others, inconsistent with most API designs. Please open this up. I get this risk but you should allow users to decide if they how they want to manage their music.

Add a Comment

It is really disappointing, that such feature is not available in a so called API. We truly need this feature. I hope it will be implemented soon!

Thanks.