Purchases, physical goods or virtual?

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding In-app purchases.

We have developed an educational app that allows students to view videos within the app by signing up for a fee, and the teacher conducts phone-guided learning, customized learning programs and more. Then we regularly pay the teacher a certain amount of tuition.

We are not sure if we fall into rule 3.1.1

• If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase. Apps may use in-app purchase currencies to enable customers to “tip” digital content providers in the app. Apps and their metadata may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase.
  • Any credits or in-game currencies purchased via in-app purchase may not expire, and you should make sure you have a restore mechanism for any restorable in-app purchases.

Or rule 3.1.5

3.1.5 Physical Goods and Services Outside of the App: If your app enables people to purchase goods or services that will be consumed outside of the app, you must use purchase methods other than in-app purchase to collect those payments, such as Apple Pay or traditional credit card entry. Apps may facilitate transmission of approved virtual currencies (e.g. Bitcoin, DogeCoin) provided that they do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions.

I don't know what to do because we want to know in advance which rules apply to this, not to blind development.

So are we selling physical goods here, or are we actually selling virtual goods?

If you do not have enough information let me know...will be following this thread closely

Replies

You wrote:

>...app..... to view videos within the app......and the teacher conducts.......

Viewing the video is unlocking content within the app and requires IAP - unless you can qualify as a 'reader app' under 3.1.3a.

The 'teacher conducts...' - if that is a real teacher doing real time 'conducting' outside of the app then that is 3.1.5(a) services and cannot be paid through IAP. But if it is provdied in a stream through the app then you might be able to use IAP (i.e. 3.1.5(a) does not apply) and you might even need to use IAP since you may be unlocking functionality within the app - again, unless you qualify as a reader app.

Hello, our educational program online to complete the course purchase, and can attend the class online, the teacher online real-time guidance, how can I become qualified as a 'reader app' under 3.1.3a.

Read and follow the guideline.