Xcode 10 beta 1. How to add something to library or pin the library window?

I don't know if this is the proper forum to ask since I don't see a Xcode section in the Beta forums.

The question is simple. I don't really see the adventage of having the library hidden since the place where it used to be is currently empty but Apple knows better I guess. Still, anyone know if is it possible to pin the library windows? If not, how it's suppossed to add a custom SceneKit object or a code snippet to it? I can't figure out.

Replies

The best thing to do is submit a bug report. Since Xcode 10 is in beta, this is absolutely the best time to register your "vote" for or against any new feature, with some hope it might affect the final release.

I haven't decided whether I like the new mechanism or not, but a couple of things:

— Even on a large (27") screen, there were times when the bottom of a long inspector disappeared under the library pane. I assume this happened more often on a MacBook-size screen. The space wasn't really empty, a lot of the time.

— The library palette (for controls and views) contains a lot of items. It's usually easiest to type in the filter field to find the thing you're looking for. The new window can be called up with a command-key equivalent (Command-Shift-L), and then you can just keep typing to enter your filter. If you can get used to that workflow, you won't really notice that it's floating.

— The new library window is context sensitive. You no longer see code snippets while editing storyboards, and you no longer see UI controls when editing source code.

— To create a code snippet, use Editor->Create Code Snippet (or right-click on the selected text). After that, it's the same snippet editor as before.

Thank you for your answer.

"- Even on a large (27") screen, there were times when the bottom of a long inspector disappeared under the library pane. I assume this happened more often on a MacBook-size screen. The space wasn't really empty, a lot of the time."

You're right. I guess I was biased by my experience with large monitors.

"— The library palette (for controls and views) contains a lot of items. It's usually easiest to type in the filter field to find the thing you're looking for. The new window can be called up with a command-key equivalent (Command-Shift-L), and then you can just keep typing to enter your filter. If you can get used to that workflow, you won't really notice that it's floating."

I don't care too much if it's floating but I'd prefer to have an option to pin it to a panel or avoid it from disappear (I know I can press the alt key while drag some controls).

"— The new library window is context sensitive. You no longer see code snippets while editing storyboards, and you no longer see UI controls when editing source code.

— To create a code snippet, use Editor->Create Code Snippet (or right-click on the selected text). After that, it's the same snippet editor as before."

Yes, I know that, but still, I often drag SceneKit nodes to the library in order to reuse later and I can't see the alternative with this new behavior (and I guess there probably will be one). That was the reason for asking. I suppose we'll have to wait to next releases to see how it evolves.

Any of this from the Xcode 10b release notes help you?

New in Xcode 10 beta – IDE

General

Library content has moved from the bottom of the Inspector area to an overlay window, which can be moved and resized like Spotlight search. It dismisses once items are dragged, but holding the Option key before dragging will keep the library open for an additional drag.

The library can be opened via a new toolbar button, the View > Libraries menu, or the ⇧⌘L keyboard shortcut. Content dynamically matches the active editor, so the same UI provides access to code snippets, Interface Builder, SpriteKit, or SceneKit items. The media library is available via a long press on the toolbar button, the View > Libraries menu, or the ⇧⌘M keyboard shortcut. (37318979, 39885726)

As it's new, now might be the time to file bugs w/concerns, suggestions etc. adding your report #s to your thread for reference, thanks and good luck.