Best method to change front end of app currently using XIBs?

0down votefavorite

I'm taking on a project for work to re-build a pre-existing app developed by an old employee who we don't have contact with anymore. The app currently uses a XIB file, uses images as background and the CGPoint, CGRect class to build the front end of the app. I want to abandon all of this and use a storyboard as a front end, that way it has a more common recognizable iOS app look. The app is very simple, it uses the IDTech SDK to communicate with a card-reading device plugged into the headphone jack, reads the data and then sends it to a different app using the iOS URL Scheme, that's it. I'm not very experienced so I would appreciate some pointers on the best way to go about this. Can I modify the existing XIB to use XCode storyboard UI? Should I create a storyboard file and rework the code to work with this new file? What are my options? I'm much more comfortable writing Swift code than Objective-C which is what the app mostly uses currently.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Is there a single xib ?

If you have the complete xib, it is easy to recreate them in a storyboard.

Then of course, you need to reconnect to all IBOutlets.

Depending on, you might be better served by creating a new project, with current tools, then building a fresh app from the ground up, only re-using those assets that fit cleanly with current APIs and are required in order to maintain the same basic features that users have already paid for, etc.

Good luck.