2 Replies
      Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 11:31 AM by xzhang_kpf
      xzhang_kpf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

        Hi all,

         

        I was very excited about new ARkit 2.0 and USDZ format. When I tried to use xcrun usdz_converter as this session (https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/603/) suggested, however, I didn't get any output and no error message either.

         

        I tried on my macbook air and macbook pro, using both .obj file generated by myself or downloaded from internet, same issue. This is the message I got:

         

        "2018-06-13 16:30:24.810 usdz_converter[2192:119447]

         

        Converting asset file 'USDZ_test_01.obj' ..."

         

        Then nothing happened.

         

        If I'm using -l in the command, I can get the .usda format file, but this doesn't help either. I'm wondering if I'm doing something not right or this is some kind of "bug" of this beta version. Has anyone successfully export .usdz file from .obj?

         

        Thanks,

        Xin

        • Re: usdz_converter doesn't work (no error message and no output)?
          trayser Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

          See my answer to other question here:

          https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/104042

           

          The current version of usdz_converter fails for anything other than very simple obj files.

          The problem is not with file size btw (I have been able to convert a full body human scan), however if the file has anything else than basic tags, it fails.

          The trick is to edit the OBJ file (it is ASCII file) and comment out any complex tags.

           

          I have gven my experiment results in above thread.

            • Re: usdz_converter doesn't work (no error message and no output)?
              xzhang_kpf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

              Thanks trayser. I edit my .obj files and still not working.

               

              Then I realize something else, maybe I shouldn't use the file path to run this command. I did following things and now it's generating .usdz files correctly.

               

              1. Launch Xcode 10 beta, then go to Preferences > Locations, change the command line tool to "Xcode 10" ( it was Xcode 9.3 before);

              2. "cd" to folder where all obj and maps saved, then run

              xcrun usdz_converter filename.obj filename.usdz

              ( I was using "xcrun /filepath-to-usdz_coverter /filepath-to-obj /filepath-to-usdz" and this doesn't work; although I can use -d to generate .usda file, wierd)

               

              And I think what you mentioned also make sense, the obj file need to follow the certain standard. I was using Rhino3D and export as .obj, all using default settings.

               

              Hope this helps.