Access Content via Voucher (In-App purchase or not)

Hey guys,

because the developer-guidlines doesn´t answer my question clearly I going to explain my situation here.

Situation

We are planing to print a physical book. The Content of the book is also available for the web (html). This kind of format (html) is not official accessable by any shop or plattform. The service we are planing is, that each buyer of the physical book has the possibility to read this content on a app. To keep it simple (getting the content) we would like to place a voucher (with a unique code) on every sold book. The customer (that bought the book) download the app (for free), that include at least acces to one book (no voucher or physical book is required).

Straight to my question.

If the buyer goes to the app store, donwload the app, and want to add his book to the app he / she has to enter the unique code of the voucher (one book, one voucher and each voucher is unique) and *magic* the content of the bought book is available. As far as I unserstand, this procedure does not violate against the developer guidlines. Neither there is any duty to indicate this process as 'in-app purchase'.

What do you think - am I right?

Replies

> he / she has to enter the unique code of the voucher (one book, one voucher and each voucher is unique) and *magic* the content of the bought book is available. As far as I unserstand, this procedure does not violate against the developer guidlines.

Which part of 3.1.4 do you think this does not violate?

3.1.4 Content Codes: Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc. In limited circumstances, such as when features are dependent upon specific hardware to function, the app may unlock that functionality without using in-app purchase (e.g. an astronomy app that adds features when synced with a telescope). App features that work in combination with an approved physical product (such as a toy) on an optional basis may unlock functionality without using in-app purchase, provided that an in-app purchase option is available as well. You may not, however, require users to purchase unrelated products or engage in advertising or marketing activities to unlock app functionality.

You can operate under 3.1.3 if you satisfy all of the requirements of 3.1.3. Under 3.1.3 the user can go to your website, enter the code and that will allow them to access the content on your website from within the app. You can't distribute the content with the app and unlock it using the code (see 3.1.4 above).

Hey PBK,

thx for the answer. Indeed I see the app as a reader app (as correct mentioned of you 3.1.3). In this case the sense of the § means to me:

Apps may allow a user to access previously purchased content or content subscriptions ..., ..., provided that you agree not to directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods are not designed to discourage use of in-app purchase.

but how to confirm apple, that I agree "not to directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase". Are there any inputfields, metadata I have to select / confirm or is it a "declaration of intention"? This § feels like I´m depending on "good will" of apple.

In addition to my comment:

Regarding your term "the user can go to your website, enter the code and that will allow them to access the content" I can not identify (in the guidlines) that this is the required procedure.

> "the user can go to your website, enter the code and that will allow them to access the content"...."I can not identify that this is the required procedure"

This is all done on your website, not in the app. What is done in the app is:

> "Apps may allow a user to access previously purchased content"

And because:

>"you agree not to directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase"

all users must be allowed to go to your website from within the app and log into their account on your website. But only those users who separately have entered that code from the book in your website, not in the app, can download the content they purchased using a method other than IAP (i.e. they bought the book).

> "you agree not to"

The content of your app must exhibit that 'agree not to' by not actually doing what you agree not to do.

>can not identify (in the guidlines)

Reference Section 3 Business/ In-App Purchase