Play to win iOS game/jackpot question

Hi,

I'm planning on releasing a very simple iOS game and have a question in mind. Was not sure where to place this post.

The game involves skill/luck and works as a standalone game. However, I was planning on incorporating some monetary awards to give people incentive to play? Is it possible to pay the winner money through the iOS/Android app or is that illegal under Apple developer licence?

If it is possible, would I have to pay via a website? Or, can I do it via the app? Some have said this is illegal as it is gambling but it's similar to games at fetes/fairs where to pay a bit and if you win you get money.

I'm thinking, user pays $0.50 to buy the app and money gets added to the jackpot every time someone plays? Then if someone wins, they take the jackpot.

Or, if that's not allowed, how about if it's completely free and if someone plays, it adds $0.0001 to the jackpot. If someones wins (very hard to win), they get the jackpot?

Is that possible?

Thank you!

Michael

Replies

There are guidelines that specify what you can and can't do. Check out section 20.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

Thanks! I had a good look at Section 20, but was unsure about something.

My game seems more like a contest than say real money gaming or lottery. Alhtough the prize of the contest will be a monetary award

A lottery is paying to buy a ticket then someone wins a jackpot, which my game isn't.

My game involves playing a mini game which adds to a pot then someone who scores the correct number gets the jackpot. It's similar to "tapping as quickly as you can in 10 seconds" and if you get the most, you win the jackpot. Say, Does this count as contests?

Would this be gambling/Would I need gambling licenses?

Thanks for your reply

PS, I'd scrap the paid app idea. It'll be free after i read the rules in section 20