Photos app crashes on launch in Catalina

In the Catalina WWDC beta, the Photos app crashes on launch. Does this happen for everyone else? I have submitted feedback using the Feedback app.

Replies

Simialr issue after Catalina Beta 4--PHPhotosErrorDomain error 1000. Photo Library starts updating at 79% and fails at 100% with that message. The backup photos library some documentation references was never created.

it seems that if you launch a new library then switch back to your original library it works

I have several albums (1 per year).

So one of them crash the app.

I have try to repair but lost all photos (only the index, the Master still alive)

I have rename the album (old stuff)

Then try to create a new albums (2018) in a directory with spaces in it (/Users/myuser/Pictures/Directory With Spaces/2018). It crash.

I try to create on a directory without spaces, (/Users/myuser/Pictures/2018), it works !

I try to restore the photo I have move somewhere else (and restore a backup just in case it works).

I’ve the same issue with Catalina beta 5. I solved it by starting Picture app with options key and create a new library. Then I go to preferences and clicked on use system library. Then it started to import pictures from iCloud.

• This helped me solve the issue on macOS Monterey (12.3) after combing through a lot of ineffectual 'suggestions'. Thanks @thomsode

Add a Comment

Thank you, @thomsode - that solved it!

I renamed my "Photos Library" to "_Photos Library" and re-opened Photos and it fixed the issue. Photos Library should be in your user home directory.

This did not work for me.

This did not work. When I try to create a new library I get the error: PHPhotosErrorInvalidState

After having created a new library, I started the corrupted library, and BOOM; it immedially started repairing it and 5 Minutes later, the whole 80 GB were fixed ?!

Using Catalina on an old (unsupported) MacPro

Following the instructions for Reset Permissions in this Apple document resolved this problem for me.

Yes, it works. Thanks!

this worked for me, thanks

I had issues with this as well. I kept receiving
Code Block
PHPhotosErrorDomain error 1000

I had my photos library on external hard drives, on other servers and my home drive on another storage location. What finally worked for me was to open Settings > Security and Privacy > Full Disk Access and to add photos to that list. I could then create a new Photos Library, and after that I could finally import my old library.