'Restart in OS X' Not Working! Boot Camp

Hi. I upgraded to MacOS High Sierra today. Everything was going well. Had to turn off performance counters in VMware Fusion but otherwise no crashes related to virtual machine. Boot Camp and booting into Windows appeared at first to still be working great (I already had Boot Camp set up in regular Sierra). But now I can't boot back to MacOS. How do I do that now? The keyboard shortcuts during boot aren't working too well. Is there a programatic way in Windows to switch it so the next reboot it boots back to MacOS?

Accepted Reply

Plugging in a hard-wired keyboard as opposed to a wireless keyboard worked to show me the proper boot menu. Though within Windows the utility to boot back into macOS is broken (regular Sierra version of Boot Camp).

The process to migrate existing Boot Camp installations between major versions of macOS seems somewhat legacy at this point. I have to create physical media in order to migrate. It seems like from macOS, there should be a way to point to a current Windows volume previously set up by Boot Camp and it can take it from there. At least create a virtual image containing the tools for migration, and I can mount the virtual drive the next time I boot into Windows. Give me some options instead of only one option for installing Boot Camp tools for Windows, an option which requires separate physical media.

• thanks man, I was so frustrated that my macbook keyboard is broken and my external keyboard is also broken. But I used another hard-wired keyboard and the option key worked !

Add a Comment

Replies

I am still having this same issue. I have a Razer Deathstalker as my regular keyboard, but OSX stopped recognizing the option key at startup, so I had to plug in the default mac keyboard as well for just the option key.

Now, I can't even restart to change boot camp. The screen stays black. I have to actually shut down. Wait 10 seconds. Then hard boot back up. I really hope they can fix this. They want to push into VR but devices like Oculus still only work on Boot Camp and this isn't helping Apple with their pivot to AR/MR. If you want to foster development in these areas...we need this stuff to work. It's a lot of work I know, but you charge a lot. Maybe move out of Cupertino if the high cost of living is eating into the budget to actually make things work? You can build another circle building somewhere that would let you hire enough people to fix these things and justify the prices. Apple USED to do that by being reliable. You're slipping. Stop.

Make sure to wait a couple of seconds after the sound, before pressing alt. If you press too early the system will not show the Mac disk option, just the windows disk. Also try using a wired keyboard while diagnosing the problem.
"I have the same issue when trying to reboot from Windows 10. The Option key during reboot works though. Since installing HSierra, when pressing Option at reboot, I have noticed that the Mac drive now shows up to the right of the Windows drive while before it was always the first drive from the left. Why is that?" - Mais78

Ive got exactly the same issue now but in 2020 with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6
Was this ever fixed?

For me I tried everything including the Options key, Options + R and even remounting hard drives in Windows Registry Editor but what worked in the end was simple and a few other people have suggested it. In Windows just update the Apple Software Centre. As easy as typing in Apple in the windows bottom left search bar, opening Apple Software Centre and clicking update. This should update Bootcamp to the latest version and then restart as it asks you to do and then voila, you then open bootcamp in Windows and you'll see the Mac OS partition to boot from again. Phew!

• Yes after update Apple Software Update on Windows10, I can boot back to MacOS from Win10 now. Thanks ScotzUK!!

Add a Comment