Apple policy on publishing multiple apps when one app is enough?

I worked a few years ago for one of the big dating companies.

When they tried to publish their iOS Apps, one App for each dating niche, Apple review rejected all of them.

Apple's reason was that one App should cover all dating niches.

I can understand this logic reasoning in this. This is App Store Spamming.

It crowds out keyword search results and categories.

I'm currently publishing an App in a category which has over 1,300 other Apps under it's category keyword.

I'm doing well in that category, no complaints there.

One of my rivals has in excess of 60 Apps in that one category (and keyword).

I offer the same functionality but with in-app purchases for customisation where my rival has a different App for each customisation.

So I'm wondering if this policy of "one app that does all" per company rule is still enforced by Apple?

Replies

1.) There is no practical way for you to know someone else's keywords without intimate knowledge of their process

2.) You don't say if there is any specific differentiation between those 60 referenced apps such as localization, accessibility, device support, etc.

3.) Our dev agreement doesn't call for us to police anyone but ourselves

4.) Asking about policy beyond 2.20 in the guidelines is a leading question, I think, that instead hints on your wanting to know if you should rat out other devs...

You've managed to get your app in the store without feeling slimy about it, so I suspect you're just put off that someone appears to have gamed the system for a visibility advantage. Consider that if they need to do that to compete, you've already won. Apple will get around to dealing with them when the time comes.