iOS 9.3.1 (13E5181f) beta - Shared iPad Feature

Hi,

So I've setup an iPad using a combo of OS X El Capitan Beta 10.11.4 (15E27e), Server App Beta 5.0.18 (15S5058) and Apple Configurator 2 Beta v 2.2 (3C19).

The iPad has iOS 9.3.1 (13E5181f) installed and this successfully enrols to my Apple Profile Manager MDM and is added to a device group that is a member of a Class that I have created (i.e. the new 'Classes' featured in Profile Manager).

I've added both Student and Instructor users from Open Directory to the class in Profile Manager all of which have associated iTunes accounts.

My Apple Configurator 2 Configuration Profile has the Shared iPad feature ticked and my issue is that when going through the setup on the iPad post the Apple Configurator Blueprint deployment the ipad gets stuck at a screen stating 'It may take a few minutes to configure multi-user mode on your ipad' together with a spinning cog.

Has anyone else seen this / got past this point and if so is there anything in particular you can think of that I may have missed?

Many thanks.

Replies

I am trying to setup the same scenario, but I don't see the Shared iPad feature checkbox in the Apple Configutar 2 beta. Which section of the config is it in?

It's in the Actions/Prepare…/Configuration [Manual]/Enroll in MDMServer/SuperviseDevices - you should see the checkbox below [Supervise devices], [Allow devices to pair with other computers], Enable Shared iPad.

I breifly got past that stage by temporarily altering the time on my test server to match the iPad's US time (I'm in the UK) and it went to the Student ID login page…but then it didn't get any further…unfortunatly…

We were able to get everything configured and the iPad shows the login page for the two accounts we have set up. We can't sign in to the iPad, though, because it's asking for a passcode that we haven't set up anywhere...

I was wondering about this, and I think you may have confirmed it. It looks like Shared iPad's require the still to come Education portal as described on the preview page http://www.apple.com/education/preview/. There is an email address at the bottom for:

"If you are interested in learning more about these education features, send us an email at educationpreview@apple.com. Let us know if you’d like more technical information, details on how to test iOS 9.3 in your school or if you’d like an Apple Education sales rep to contact you."

I do wonder if they will consider doing a cut down version for Family Sharing accounts.

That said, the question becomes, how do the passcodes get set up?

In the latest beta of Server App I can see that in Profile Manager you can associate an Apple ID and passcode policy with a user account, I imaging at first login the user is prompted for their Apple ID credentials and is then prompted to set a passcode.

How did you get past the 'It may take a few minutes to configure multi-user mode on your ipad'. I've been banging my head against the wall, everything (Supervision, Profile Manager, enrollment,etc) works as long as I don't check the 'shared' ipad box on configurator. As soon as I do it hangs.

I've:

• Checked the time on the server/ipad
  • Verified profile manager
  • Verified classses in profile manager

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

I'm seeing the same issue.

One thing I've noticed in the Console log for any device that I'm trying to Prepare w/Shared iPad features:

-------

Jan 29 12:20:04 iPad keybagd[42] <Error>: 0x16e087000 loadLoginwindowSession: MKB: CANNOT CONFIGURE LOGINWINDOW; INCOMPATIBLE MULTIUSER DEVICE

-------

"INCOMPATIBLE MULTIUSER DEVICE" seems like the issue here... but this is a brand new iPad Mini 4 WiFi. Not sure how that would be considered incompatible.

That answers it for me. I was using a 3rd generation iPad and found that same message in the console. I was looking for some sort of error and never caught this one. I next tried this on an iPad Air and made it past this stage without any errors.

Once the enrollment into the MDM occurs it goes to the multi user setup then immediately reboots. Once it boots up it stops at a "Sign in with your Apple ID and password to continue". I'm assuming at this point that Managed Apple ID's will be required as no matter what Apple ID I entered into the field in Profile Manager or the iPad itself neither worked. The iPad complained it didn't find the Apple ID or the password was incorrect.

Since I'm intrigued enough to go through this process I'll just email the address mentioned in this thread and see what we're able to test and what we'll have to wait until the springtime for.

Ah that sounds like it may well be the problemas I am testing on a 3rd Generation iPad as well, I still have the same issue with the latest beta's with the added activation hang issue introduced by Apple Configurator I believe:-

iOS 9.3 beta 2 (13E5191d)

Apple Configurator 2.2 beta 2 (3C23),

OS X El Capitan v10.11.4 beta 2 (15E33e),

OS X Server v5.1 beta 2 (15S5065c)

I hope they're not going to restrict these features to post iPad 3 devices, I'd imagine their would be lots of disappointed customers, particularly schools.

I have the same issue with 2 iOS devices of the upper generation (iPad Air 2 (Model A1566) and iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi):

Feb 2 18:47:37 iPad keybagd[42] <Error>: 0x16e2d3000 loadLoginwindowSession: IN loadLoginwindowSession

Feb 2 18:47:37 iPad keybagd[42] <Error>: 0x16e2d3000 loadLoginwindowSession: MKB: CANNOT CONFIGURE LOGINWINDOW; INCOMPATIBLE MULTIUSER DEVICE

In this thread, nobody has indicated if their devices have been bought for Education or in the Education Device Enrollment Program (DEP). I feel that xplora user is right when he/she wrote: "It looks like Shared iPads require to come Education portal".

Steven,

Could you confirm it, please? You succeeded to past this stage without any errors.

Thanks,

Franck

Frank.

All of our apple devices are purchased through our state Apple rep and or through the Education Institution store. We use DEP here but I only utilize it for our Casper Suite server. These two devices are added to the DEP portal they're however not assigned a prestage so they aren't automatically referred to an MDM during the Setup Assistant. DEP is turned off on the test instance of Profile Manager as well.

Thanks Steven to have replied quickly. I had a doubt. You remove it. The iPads have to be bought though an Apple Education representative or through the Education Store (http://www.apple.com/education/ipad/how-to-buy/). From Apple documentation (What’s New for Education.pdf), using the Shared iPad feature requires the iPad be supervised. Using an MDM solution to configure Shared iPad is highly recommended for the supervision mode and for the Shared configuration (is_multi_user). FYI, I know that Apple Configurator 2 supports configuring Shared iPad because I tested it (without success). It seems that the latest Profile Manager version also supports configuring Shared iPad. There is a new checkbox named Shared.

For Apple School Manager, your Device Enrollment Program (DEP) account will be required. If you’re already enrolled in DEP, Volume Purchase Program (VPP) or iTunes U, all of your account information and data will be migrated to Apple School Manager, bringing together everything needed to deploy iOS devices and Mac computers. But during the iOS 9.3 and OS X 10.11.4 beta period, Apple School Manager is available by invitation only and will not support migration of existing DEP and VPP account data. Only specific SIS systems will be supported. Not all programs or features are available in all countries or regions.

HTH!

Shared iPad is for DEP devices only I think, meaning any device not purchased through the DEP is incompatible.

I don't think you would want to use a personal Apple ID as per that PDF on the education features...

Some Apple services and features are disabled for Managed Apple IDs, such as:

• App Store (browsing but no purchasing)
  • iTunes Store (browsing but no purchasing)
  • Apple Pay
  • Find My Friends
  • Find My iPhone
  • FaceTime*
  • iMessage*
  • iCloud Backup*
  • Diagnostics and Usage*
  • iCloud Mail
  • HomeKit connected devices
  • iCloud Keychain
  • Touch ID