Apple TV 4K and Sony X930E handshake issue

I currently have my setup like this: Apple TV 4K -> HDMI -> Denon X2400H -> HDMI -> X930E

So far this behavior only happens with the ATV, but randomly it seems that the TV gets in a funk where the screen for the Apple TV flashes on and off. Almost like a classic HDMI handshake problem. So far the ONLY thing that will fix this is to pull the power on the TV (not even turning off/on will fix it). Once I pull the power on the TV and it reboots, everything is fine again. It may return a day later....2 days later....it's random. It never happens while watching the ATV. It's always either turning the entire chain on or swtiching over from another source (Roku or PS4 for example).

I have tried multiple certified cables, none seem to make a difference. I've tried powering off the other devices, that doesn't fix it. I'm thinking this is an Apple TV problem, but the X930E is what is being affected.

So far the ATV is the only device that causes this and I haven't found a way to re-produce on my own. But I thinking it's something between the ATV and the Sony that's causing the issue.

Replies

Have you tried without the Denon?

Yes I did try without the Denon just to test. There seems to be some kind of handshake between the ATV and the Sony that fails at times and that failure sticks unless the TV is rebooted.

Are these forums monitored? I continue to have issues with the Apple TV my receiver and my TV. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when the problem will occur. However it only occurs after the entire chain has been turned off for some period of time. Once the TV power has been pulled and plugged back in the handshake seemingly completes fine in the AppleTV will continue to work OK while the entire chain is on. Currently running 11.3b1.

>Are these forums monitored?

By whom?

devForums are mainly dev-to-dev, if that's what you're asking.

I submitted bug report: 37141161

After having the issue again....I decided this weekend to re-do my setup and get the ATV plugged directly into the TV to simplify things. Sure enough, I turn on the ATV this morning....the screen comes on.....then blanks out for a sec and then back. I try to play anything, all I get is a blank screen or it doesn't play.

Thankfully now it looks like an ATV reboot solves the issue....so that's a little better than pulling the TV power.

Hoping a mod on here can nudge the Apple devs to look at my bug report: 37141161

I'm finding more and more people online that are having these issues with a Sony TV. Seems to be something between the Sony and the ATV (although I have seen a few reports of people with LGs also having the issue).

I had this problem with a Panasonic tv turns out it was a faulty HDMI port on the TV

I might think it was the TV if others with Sonys weren't describing the same thing...and other devices (Roku/PS4 Pro) work fine on the same HDMI port.

Also the ATV works perfect after a reboot.

Hello,

I have the same exact issue.

The behavior I have observed is the Apple TV 4K will be stable but as soon as you play content, a desync occurs & the TV will act like there is no input from the source, then switch to a black screen, then will briefly show the content before repeating that cycle for 1-3 minutes.

My set up is the following:

Apple TV 4K

• Onkyo TX-RZ720
    • Sony Bravia XBR-X940E

Only thing that temporarily fixes this negotiating cycle is waiting it out or rebooting the TV.

Note: Waiting it out is not guaranteed to resolve this issue.

When using Apple TV 4K’s “Check HDMI Connection” the test is successful.

At this point none of the several things I have tried has fixed this issue.

Hey agilis did you ever figure this out?

• No unfortunately I still experience this issue. I cannot find a solution.

Add a Comment

I’ve had the same issue. Sony 850D 65 inch. Denon x3300w and the new Apple TV 4K. Handshaking issue, lose sync and screen goes black for 3-5 seconds then it comes back. Changed cables and still nothing. Moved the Apple TV behind tv and bought audio quest cinnamon hdmi 8k cable. And it solved the problem.. hope this helps