Using Apple TV 4K with tvOS 11.2 beta 1 with Xcode

Hi.

I cannot pair my Apple TV 4K through Xcode since I've updated it to tvOS 11.2 beta 1 (15K5085b).

And could not use it in Xcode after the tvOS either, which is why I tried it to pair it again.

The latest available Xcode is Xcode 9.1 beta 2 (9B46).

It does not work either with Xcode 9.01 release (9A1004).

Has Apple forgotten to publish a new Xcode beta, is it a tvOS bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance :-)

Accepted Reply

Xcode 9.2 beta 2 is now available for download, which contains a fix for this issue.

Please download and launch Xcode 9.2. beta 2, and you should see an "Installing Components" window appear during first launch, which will install a fix for the wireless pairing issue.

Afterwards, you should be able to pair and use your Apple TV running tvOS 11.2 beta 1 and 2 normally for wireless development. Note that upgrading your Apple TV from a previous tvOS 11 version to tvOS 11.2 will force a re-pair for wireless develoment.

Replies

Yes. It took unusually long to upload and I had to do it twice.

It had not finished downloadinguploading when I wrote my previous message.

I checked and it is there now.

35266082 both files uploaded

Thank you. We have identified an issue in tvOS 11.2 beta 1 that prevents Apple TV from wirelessly pairing for use with Xcode. Apple TV (4th generation) developers using 11.2 beta 1 should connect using USB, and Apple TV 4K developers should use the simulator for development and testing until an upcoming update is avialable to resolve the issue.

Just wondering if the problem is with the beta, how is the beta going to update without the provisioning profile on the Apple TV?

I am just speculating but:

- you can factory reset the Apple TV from the Settings/System/Reset menu by choosing "Reset and Update",

- unless you have deleted it or reset your Apple TV, the tvOS 11 Beta Software Profile should still be here anyway.

Yes, it's been reset, provisioning profile is not on there which is why I was asking.

I am in the same boat. Deleted (on the Apple TV 4K) the existing beta profile config thinking that is causing the Xcode connect issue, and now it can't get back to tvOS 11.1 release version because it is already at 11.2 beta. And since I deleted the beta profile config, I'm afraid it won't see the next beta update when it comes. Not sure about the path forward, as there is no USB and it won't connect.

The fix for this issue will come via an updated Xcode beta and will also restore wireless pairing connectivity using Configurator.

You rock!

As far as I understand, if you "reset and update" your Apple TV, you should get back to the latest release version of tvOS.

Nope doesn't work.

Yes. Just tried it. Does not work either.

Looks like there is currently no documented way to restore Apple TV 4K to the latest official release 😟.

We'll see what procedure Apple describes for those stuck in tvOS 11.2 beta 1 without the tvOS beta profile.

Fortunately, there is a way to install the beta provisioning profile on your Apple TV 4K. This could be used to install the beta frofile on a 4th gen Apple TV without the need for a USB C cable:

- download the tvOS 11 beta provisioning profile,

- put it in a Dropbox and copy the Dropbox link to it,

- on your Apple TV 4K, go to Settings/General/Privacy and highlight "Share Apple TV Analytics",

- press the Play/Pause button on the Siri remote,

- "Add Profile" appears ,🙂

- choose it,

- use your iPhone or iPad's Apple TV remote (I use the one in the control center) topaste the Dropbox link you previously copied (if you copied it on your Mac, you can only paste it on your iOS device after a short period, therefore you might have to copy it again before you can paste it)

- replace the 0 at the end of the pasted URL by a 1 (dl=1 provides a direct link to the file instead of a link to a download page)

- click on "Done",

- install the profile,

- there is no step 11.

Wow thank you very much for this. At least I got the profile back on there.

Xcode 9.2 beta 2 is now available for download, which contains a fix for this issue.

Please download and launch Xcode 9.2. beta 2, and you should see an "Installing Components" window appear during first launch, which will install a fix for the wireless pairing issue.

Afterwards, you should be able to pair and use your Apple TV running tvOS 11.2 beta 1 and 2 normally for wireless development. Note that upgrading your Apple TV from a previous tvOS 11 version to tvOS 11.2 will force a re-pair for wireless develoment.

That worked. Thanks!

(downloaded tvOS 11.2 beta 2 and Xcode 9.2 beta 2 and could pair my Apple TV 4K for development)

🙂