External GPU increases performance?

External GPU uses thunderbolt 3 for connecting mac. Thunderbolt connection is 40gbs.
Normal internal GPU is 252gbs

Apple says that eGPU increases performance.
How? Bandwith of the connection is 40gbs, so it won´t be able to pass through as much data as the internal gpu.
Right?

"Apps that use Metal, OpenCL, and OpenGL can now take advantage of the increased performance that external graphics processors can bring. The External Graphics Development Kit includes everything you need to start optimizing advanced VR and 3D apps on external graphics processors with macOS High Sierra.1"
https://developer.apple.com/development-kit/external-graphics/

Replies

You can fit an AMD RX 580+ or Nvidia 1060+ in a Macbook or for that matter any laptop with Thunderbolt 3? Could you have a desktop with an older GPU and want to do VR, games or some heavy video application that could benefit from a better GPU? When adding an eGPU, you are generally improving the performance compared to what is already inside. You are too focused on Thunderbolt performance. There is of course a 10% performance hit for going through the Thunderbolt 3 adaptor. Cost could also be a factor for some to stay away. I have a Sonnett eGFX Breakaway Box 550 on order to improve the GPU performance on my Macbook Pro for development.

Good point. Maybe I am too focused on TB3 connection.

I have just been testing Sonnett eGFX Breakaway Box with live visual software Resolume.

My setup with this is MacBook Pro 2017, with TB3 connection. eGPU connected and working ok.

Haven´t yet seen any real improvement in performance or live rendering. Frame rate with eGPU is half (30fps) compared to laptop GPU (60fps)
Have to do some testing to get convinced about the benefits of the eGPU.

I´ve had some really annoying issues with my eGPU box.
With my other setup is Mac Pro 2013, connecting eGPU with TB3-TB2 adapter. It has been said to be working, but mine is giving me a hard time.
MacOS High Sierra freezes, when eGPU is connected and external display via eGPU flashes yellow screen.
When I start in safe mode, I can log in and external display is ok.

Anyway, good luck with your box! Let me know how everything works.😎

This is late but hope it helps someone. If playing on Mac use this script to set the egpu preference it modifies plists and seems to be more effective than manual setting it. I was having issues with Dying Light on my 2019 MacBook Pro and my dedicated GPU Radeon 5500m was doing better than my eGPU Radeon 580x. The performance has improved all-around when applying to all apps you can follow the guide on 9to5mac Google for egpu-acceleration-internal-display-mac-apps-macos-video.