NSAttributedString initWithData: not available

I am working in xCode on a Mac app. I have a string with HTML in it. I want to convert this to NSAttributedString. I see many references to using initWithData: including the Apple Documentation.

When I enter this code:

[NSAttributedString alloc]initWith

xCode shows no completion for initWithData:

If I copy and paste the complete line from posts I see to accomplish this, I am told that initWithData: does not exist.

Why is this?

Deployment target is :10.10

Answered by QuinceyMorris in 260277022

It all works for me. When I go to the definition of initWithData, I see it's added in a NSAttributedString category declared in AppKit, so make sure you import AppKit and not just Foundation. (This different import is documented on the web page for initWithData:… . This "splitting" of NSAttributedString is necessary because it depends on declarations outside of Foundation.)

Interesting, select NSAttributedString and do 'goto definition', InitWithData is not there.

there are three init methods:

- (instancetype)initWithString:(NSString *)str;

- (instancetype)initWithString:(NSString *)str attributes:(nullable NSDictionary<NSString *, id> *)attrs;

- (instancetype)initWithAttributedString:(NSAttributedString *)attrStr;

same issue using initWithHTML:

Accepted Answer

It all works for me. When I go to the definition of initWithData, I see it's added in a NSAttributedString category declared in AppKit, so make sure you import AppKit and not just Foundation. (This different import is documented on the web page for initWithData:… . This "splitting" of NSAttributedString is necessary because it depends on declarations outside of Foundation.)

thanks, I had just figured that out. had to import AppKit

NSAttributedString initWithData: not available

Q