Anyone seeing iOS11 issue with location services in background?

I have been testing on iOS11 beta versions between 4 and now 8 and I am sometimes seeing an issue where location services stop delivering GPS points when in the background. The logging that I have in the application isn't showing that any application delegate methods are firing, but the application seems to just go to sleep completely. No GPS is reported, nor core motion, etc. I have added the necessary entitlements for "Always On" that iOS11 requires as well, but the issue persists.

Replies

I also explored and added this property with no positive effect. Motion updates still do not occur on iPhone 7/7+.

I have confirmed motion updates still occur on iPhone 6.

We are observing this same behavior, where location (and other sensor data, e.g., accel) is only delivered for a few seconds around significant location events. We have noticed that the issue seems to occur most frequently immediately after the OS updates, and will persist until the next restart of the phone (or at least a restart of the phone seems to fix this issue.) We have reported to Apple but have yet to get a confirmation of them creating a bug to track this. Have you filed and issue? It would be helpful to have as many people as possible report this!

Yes, I filed a bug report. But I could not give Apple a description how to trigger this bug for sure, so they asked to install a location logging profiles which I should install on the device, so whenever this issue occurs again, I can create diagnostic Logs of the location service. Of course since then the problem never occured... But I had reports of other users of my App which have this issue.

After updating to iOS 10.0.1. now, I've seen this issue again. So your observation, that this is most likely happening after a system update might be true.

Glad you were able to reproduce. We also saw the issue re-occur on update to iOS 11.1 beta 1 so it seems to still be present.

iOS 11.0.2 + iPhone 7 Core Motion do not delivery any data in background mode. Totally broke my app =\

Dear all,

Apple just release iOS11.1 beta 2. In their release notes they are only mentioning the following:

Location Services Resolved Issues

• Data from an external GPS accessory is now accurately reported. (34324743)

So it seems that the bug is still present in iOS11.1 beta 2 version as well?

What did you experience so far with the new version?

Regards,

alex

I've installed the iOS 11.1 Beta 2 today, and afterwards did some tests with my App. Unfortunately nothing has changed: After installing the system update, my App does no longer receive any location updates in the background. So the bug still exists. It is not fixed.

BTW: The observation from user "srmadden"(See above) seems to be correct. After each iOS 11 update (doesn't matter if this is a Beta update or a public update) all the background locations updates are totally failing and no longer working. But after rebooting the iOS, everything seems to work fine again.

So I can at least give my users a simple solution: they should simply reboot the device after they've installed an iOS 11 update.

At least others are seeing the same issue. Please consider filing a bug explaining the behavior in detail if you have not already. The more developers who point out the issue, the more likely it is to be fixed.

Thanks. It did not help me. Still looking for the fix.

Same for me here. After an OS update, GPS is broken. Location manager delivers events every 5 minutes or more and the data are static in a way. I see stuch values in lat & lng especially. The only solution we came through is to reboot the iphone or a hard reset. Is there any file radar for this bug?

I suspect that Apple has started throttling background use of CLLocationManager on recent versions of iOS 11. See my response in this thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/90163#271323

Have you found a solution?

Why would they turn their back on a valuable metric they can use for their own marketing, and sell to 3rd parties? I can't imagine it not paying for itself.

No solution yet, besides telling your users to reboot each time a new iOS 11 update was installed. After installing a iOS 11 update, the iOS does no longer deliver location updates in the background. But a reboot will "fix" this... at least until the next iOS 11 update.

Unfortunately, even the latest iOS 11.1 Beta 4 does not fix this bug. The iPhone X release is near, which most likely will come with iOS 11.1, so it is likely that this bug will not be fixed with the public iOS 11.1 release either. Therefore I would suggest all developers affected by this bug should find a way to tell their users that they need to reboot the iOS, to get the App working... This seems to be the only solution right now.

File a bug report