Xcode 9 beta storyboards and xibs all open as xml, not interface builder

Opening my project with Xcode 9 beta, all storyboards and xib files open as xml when selected. When I double-click them, they launch with IB as standalone windows. Is this the new standard behavior? Is there a new setting?

Answered by jralden in 240584022

I stumbled on the solution. They are working now. When I initially opened the storyboard, the xml appeared in both the main and assistant editors. When I loaded a corresponding view controller source in the assistant editor, the main editor switched to the IB view. From then on, all storyboards and xibs loaded as IB views. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature.

Accepted Answer

I stumbled on the solution. They are working now. When I initially opened the storyboard, the xml appeared in both the main and assistant editors. When I loaded a corresponding view controller source in the assistant editor, the main editor switched to the IB view. From then on, all storyboards and xibs loaded as IB views. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature.

Thanks! What a life saver. Here we are in Xcode 13.3 and this still happens. Pulled out some hair on this one.

Xcode 9 beta storyboards and xibs all open as xml, not interface builder

Q