Changes in behaviour of [SMAppService registerAndReturnError:] after Sonoma 14.4

I am using [SMAppService registerAndReturnError:] to register a launch agent from a plist bundled in the app (before the registration call a matching unregister is done via unregisterWithCompletionHandler as suggested by the docs). The non standard thing is that I am doing that in a root gui login with sudo to bootstrap my launch agent into gui/0 domain.

This worked well until Sonoma 14.4 - now the call fails with:

Error Domain=SMAppServiceErrorDomain Code=125 "Domain does not support specified action" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Domain does not support specified action}

which is not really helpful.

For now, i've switche to just using launchctl bootout and launchctl bootstrap to get around this, but could anyone elaborate on what has changed? My feeling is that something has changed in the logic that determines the domain - could it be that even with sudo the target domain is gui/<real used id> not gui/0 ? As far as I can see there are no ways to specify the domain from the SMAppService APIs right? Also a weird thing is that if run the code in a raw terminal in root gui it works as previously (but out of security, no thing really runs as root, everything is a launch agent under some less privileged user, and before Sonoma 14.4 sudoing with that less privileged user did work for [SMAppService registerAndReturn], now it does not, and what is also strange, doing sudo - <less privileged user> and then sudo su also shows the same error code 125.

Changes in behaviour of [SMAppService registerAndReturnError:] after Sonoma 14.4

Q