Can't install any apps on my new iPhone 16 Pro with iOS 18 from XCode

Error message:

Previous preparation error: The developer disk image could not be mounted on this device.; Error mounting image: 0xe800010f (kAMDMobileImageMounterPersonalizedBundleMissingVariantError: The bundle image is missing the requested variant for this device.)

I had no issues previously with my iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 18 and my XCode 15. Now, after switching to the iPhone 16 Pro, it won't work.

I've tried restarting my phone several times, quitting XCode, removing and readding developer mode—nothing quite works.

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 804884022

Thanks everyone for the reports via Feedback Assistant! We're aware of the issue impacting users that upgraded from Xcode 16 Beta 6 and Xcode 16 RC. We are working on a solution that doesn't require any manual intervention.

Quick Fix Option 1

Open Terminal and run (replacing the path to Xcode 16.0 if needed):

sudo installer -pkg /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/XcodeSystemResources.pkg -target /

Quick Fix Option 2

Download Xcode 16.1 Beta 2 and launch it.

Background for the curious...

Xcode's First Launch Experience does not install the XcodeSystemResources package if it detects that the versions of the installed frameworks match the versions of the packaged frameworks.

The final version of Xcode 16.0 contains support for iPhone 16 whereas the betas and release candidates do not. However, the versions of the frameworks installed by that package are the same (just with different hardware support options) as what shipped in Xcode 16.0 Beta 6 and the Release Candidate.

Given that, any users updating from Xcode 16.0 Beta 6 or the Release Candidates (which did not have support for iPhone 16) to Xcode 16.0 will unfortunatley have Xcode skip installation of that package.

--

To users on Xcode 15. It's expected that Xcode 15 does not support iPhone 16. Please update to Xcode 16.0.

just came to say same issue here with my iphone 16 pro and xcode Version 15.4

Thanks everyone for the reports via Feedback Assistant! We're aware of the issue impacting users that upgraded from Xcode 16 Beta 6 and Xcode 16 RC. We are working on a solution that doesn't require any manual intervention.

Quick Fix Option 1

Open Terminal and run (replacing the path to Xcode 16.0 if needed):

sudo installer -pkg /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/XcodeSystemResources.pkg -target /

Quick Fix Option 2

Download Xcode 16.1 Beta 2 and launch it.

Background for the curious...

Xcode's First Launch Experience does not install the XcodeSystemResources package if it detects that the versions of the installed frameworks match the versions of the packaged frameworks.

The final version of Xcode 16.0 contains support for iPhone 16 whereas the betas and release candidates do not. However, the versions of the frameworks installed by that package are the same (just with different hardware support options) as what shipped in Xcode 16.0 Beta 6 and the Release Candidate.

Given that, any users updating from Xcode 16.0 Beta 6 or the Release Candidates (which did not have support for iPhone 16) to Xcode 16.0 will unfortunatley have Xcode skip installation of that package.

--

To users on Xcode 15. It's expected that Xcode 15 does not support iPhone 16. Please update to Xcode 16.0.

I was running into the same error with my newly acquired iPhone 16 Pro. I downloaded Xcode 16.1 beta 2 as suggested in this thread and successfully set it up for development. This morning my phone was updated to what appears to be the final iOS 18 version (as opposed to the version installed on new phones) and tried Xcode 16 (NON beta) again. This time the setup for development worked immediately. That suggests to me that Xcode 16 came with a package specifically for the final version of iOS 18, and not for the version shipped on new phones. Hopefully this will all be resolved soon between shipping phones with the latest OS version and updates to Xcode.

FWIW, I updated my phone manually in Settings>General>Software Update.

Can't install any apps on my new iPhone 16 Pro with iOS 18 from XCode

Q