Any changes in HRV sample frequency in watchOS 11?

Are there any changes in the frequency of HRV samples the Apple Watch takes in watchOS 11? Currently sample rates are very low except for users who have Afib History turned on. There should be some other way for users to get the benefit of more HRV sampling per day without needing to turn Afib History on if they haven't been diagnosed with Afib.

Also is it possible for a 3rd party app to trigger an HRV sample?

Thanks! Gary

Answered by DTS Engineer in 790147022

There is no API for a 3rd party app to impact the sampling rate on an Apple Watch. The system may change the rate based on user-level settings and actions, but it is completely up to the system. I don't think that the behavior changes on watchOS 11.

If you do need "some other way for users to get the benefit of more HRV sampling per day", You might consider filing a feedback report with your concrete use case.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen
 Worldwide Developer Relations.

There is no API for a 3rd party app to impact the sampling rate on an Apple Watch. The system may change the rate based on user-level settings and actions, but it is completely up to the system. I don't think that the behavior changes on watchOS 11.

If you do need "some other way for users to get the benefit of more HRV sampling per day", You might consider filing a feedback report with your concrete use case.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen
 Worldwide Developer Relations.

Just expanding on my previous comment...

Apple Watch really lags behind in this area. Although it does record HRV data it simply doesn’t record enough to provide effective insights and trends to users. My app users are CONSTANTLY asking me how to record more HRV data, how to trigger a recording from my app and how to track it more effectively. This is all very difficult in WatchOS currently.

I've filed a feedback FB13880126 and mentioned it at two WWDC labs.

🙏🙏 This might get picked up this summer.

Any changes in HRV sample frequency in watchOS 11?

Q