Xcode Targeting Non-Apple Platform like Arduino or Bare Metal Embedded System

Looking for anyone that has some experience in getting Xcode to work with external compiler/linkers in what is tantamount to a foreign tool chain to build non-apple platform executables.

For example, I want to ultimately use Xcode to edit, build, and push bare metal firmware (read "no operating system at external device"). Think of it as in how to use Xcode to develop the firmware in the processor in the ThunderBolt 4 cable (TPS65994AD) which runs a variant of the ARM Cortex-M machine code. Suppose I don't want to use TI's "Code Composer Studio (CCS)" but instead want to use Xcode which might drive some part of Code Composer Studio. Xcode supports external / foreign tool chains (or did) but the question is "have you done it successfully for any foreign platform?" and if so what was your approach?

I'm trying to not waste a bunch of time with horrendous make file scripting only to find out that I did not have to do it or it headed down the wrong directions. I have a hard time believing that someone hasn't done this before for something even more monolithic like Arduino.

The biggest news in this space recently has been the Embedded Swift effort.

If you’re interested in that, you’re more likely to find other folks of a similar bent in Swift Forums.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Xcode Targeting Non-Apple Platform like Arduino or Bare Metal Embedded System

Q