iOS Simulator Performance Issues

I have noticed that, as of late, the iOS simulator has been incredibly slow. Even simple (and perhaps silly) actions like changing the wallpaper take an unreasonably long time, to the point where it is no longer clear whether the process has hanged. I tried to change the wallpaper to a photo of mine, but it simply would not appear.

Even booting up takes several seconds, and home screen animations are laggy. I've given up on testing my build for now.

I have tried with an iPhone Xr and an iPhone 15 Pro simulator - both running iOS 17.0. Both are extremely laggy. This is on an M1 MacBook Air running the stable version of macOS Sonoma 14.0. with Xcode version 15.0.1 and Simulator version 15.0.1. I have checked the Activity Monitor for CPU and RAM. There is nothing abnormal.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

I am facing the same issue here after upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1 and Xcode 15.3

Starting one single Simulator would take around 6gb of Memory. When starting more than 1 simulator the whole thing freezes. I had to reduce my automated testing framework devices to 1 (which is ridiculous).

This is reproducible on our 2 testing machines: Both M1 and M2. Both machines have 8gb of memory

Anyone with a solution for this issue?